Is the pre-amp a thing of the past?

I’m finding some of this very confusing, probally because I have only ever had integrated amps and to me, an amp was an amp. You plug in sources, the amp amplifies the signal and powers the speakers. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

So anyway, last year I upgraded to a Nova with Totem Forest Signature speakers. Sounds wonderful. Then went to an NDX2 demo through a 282, 250 and Focal Kantas. It was probally more analytical, but I thought not much more musical. As a component system it is 3 times the price. For me, not three times the value. I’d probally consider an NDX2 into an upgraded intergrated amp though. But seperate pre amps and power supplies seems overly complicated when you can get such good sound from a Nova or SN2.

2 Likes

No definitely not. It’s about the level of performance that audiophiles demand.

There’s always demand for a dedicated preamp and very few companies know how to make one at the level of a naim one

1 Like

Lots of passive preamps seem to have only one or two inputs, but they can have more, so I think active vs passive is a separate debate from the big multi box expensive vs minimalist one.

They place different (and less intrusive) constraints on the power amp circuit, but that itself makes the power amp more vulnerable to RFI and out-of-band ultrasonics (unless other precautions are taken).

It’s entirely possible to intentionally design a power amp that performs well with either type of passive preamp and also with a conventional preamp (but, to the best of my knowledge not possible to optimise for both types of passive preamp in the same circuit).

Interesting question … not that Naim needs to follow the same path as Linn does, but IIRC, Linn stopped producing preamplifiers …

2 Likes

If a pre-amp was a thing of the past, it would have been called prehistoric-amp.

6 Likes

there must be question that all pre amps are low current devices and dont need high current power supplies . yes the need to designed for low noise etc .it does seem logical to have good screening or dare I say a separate box

I have two systems running off my NDS,one has no preamp at all…active Dynaudio XD 600’s.The Dyn’s come with a remote control,so really no need for a preamp here.Sounds every bit as good as my “other” system,which is fed an analog signal from the NDS.

Interesting topic and debate. Even though I do not have a definitive reply it’s a question I had to face in my path to hifi listening.
I was raised with the idea that a good preamp is the heart of a system and I had good ones indeed, the last one was a Conrad Johnson Evolution 20.
However for many reasons I went for a passive preamp (MFA Classic V2) driving 2 amps in an active bi-amp system and I had to admit that at least in my case it is a great solution.
Hence, most probably there is not an absolute truth about preamps or hifi in general but it’s all about proper matching.
Just for the sake of precision some passives are also versatile enough and yes they do match impedance as far as I know.
So, NO…a preamp is not a thing of the past but today’s technology helps finding the best solution that can be achieved with a proper technical approach to matching components, always IMHO…

1 Like

In my experience, an analogue volume is better than a DVC, especially at low volume.

M.

My system is used for blu-ray, TV, tuner, turntable, and radio. I am sure that many users now listen to their Naim systems mainly fed by satellite and not just for music

I’ll say ‘bye now!

1 Like

Naim makes its NAC 272, but Linn only offers “control units” as it advocates digital room correction through Space Optimisation and its latest phono equaliser is digital then it doesn’t make sense for Linn. Naim has a different approach, it makes an integrated amplifier then splits it in to 2 or more boxes. Both companies make excellent products, but have different designs. I think that is good as you have a choice.

Chord makes a stunning pre-amp with a price tag to match which includes separate tone controls for right and left channels. I have tried one, but could detect no improvement in my system beyond liking its tone controls.

I found my DAC in to NAP200 sounded better to me without a pre-amp.

However, these kind of things are subjective and all well installed systems from Naim, Linn and Chord sound excellent to me. I don’t need a pre-amp in my digital system, but others may prefer it.

1 Like

Not mine - both can work exceptionally well if correctly designed.

At this point I’d have to agree. I don’t need one either. The NDX2 into 300DR into Sopra IIs sounds absolutely fabulous. I’d like to try a 252 in the middle to see if there’s an improvement, and whether it’s worth $19k. I’d also be curious to try a Hugo TT2 in the middle to see what all the Chord DAC fuss is about. And I’d like to try an XPS on the NDX2 to see what that’s like as well. But I think all those can wait till Christmas, and I’ll be very happy in the interim with what I have.

3 Likes

how do you do volume control? per app or remote?

I use the remote. Naim have disabled roon’s ability to either use internal DSP volume or control the NDX 2 volume the way Apple can through Airplay 2.

thanks! Guess I’ll try this approach in near future as well…

Let us know how you fare. In another thread, we’re discussing preamp alternatives to the Naim route, which are still compatible with Naim power amps. I feel my current arrangement is leaving something on the table. The buffering (point 3 in post 21 above), must be more important than I originally anticipated. I feel this because my setup sounds lovely with single instrument or vocals, but distant and anemic with orchestral works. We’ll see when the new preamp arrives…

A decade of experiments confirmed to my ears what Richard Dane said all along.

The naim preamp and power amp and also the Snaic and Burndy should be seen as a whole Complete Naim amplifier.

Changing any of the components leads to disappointment to my ears.

Others may feel and hear different but I report what I hear.

2 Likes