Is the world angrier or is it

Great reply Richard, it should really be a sticky!

Personally, in the real non-online world, I often find that I am self-aware but don’t have the requisite coping mechanisms, or those I’m aware of might not work for me. I think many of my generation when we fail to adequately maintain a ‘stiff upper lip’ when faced with adversity simply end up with a natural physiological fight-flight response that becomes increasingly difficult to rein-in. Perhaps Bruss could comment but I personally find little things niggle and niggle and annoy, then something utterly trivial is the straw that breaks the camel’s back and leads to a rant - you’re aware your tensions are rising but generally lack of control of situations (eg work demands) prevents you breaking the escalating mental frustrations and you end up ‘letting off steam’. In some ways a verbal rant is simply a release of emotions that potentially takes your hyped up state back to normal (and is perhaps an evolutionary natural response) but it really doesn’t help if you’ve upset colleagues or family in the process of ‘letting off steam’.

From the thread title I thought this was about natural phenomena, from floods to droughts to tornadoes and typhoons to earthquakes to volcanoes, and I was going to answer yes the world does seem to be getting angrier!

But I haven’t noticed any net degradation on the forum of late - there always have been those quick to criticise or make unpleasant comments, but I don’t feel that there is more overall now than 1, 3, 5 years ago, though of course there are fluctuations over the short term.

My association with this phrase is that it can well be used to manipulate others. I come from a rural environment and such phrases were used to silence the ones having a different opinion. Meanwhile gossip - not visible - was allowed doing its irreversible damage.

My experience with the phrase on this forum was as an alternative of ‘shut up’.

The phrase is a bit of a catch 22. ‘Good’ should be changed by ‘positive’ of ‘constructive’ or so.

Good morning!

4 Likes

From a counselling pov then yes, exactly as you describe, small things ignored can lead to an explosive reaction at some otherwise inappropriate point or target. We all suffer from that.
Generally on paper, or internet, we only show parts of ourselves and in a face to face situation we can see the twinkle in the eye, or the rolled eyes. We are all learning how to interpret comments on forums, forgetting that those comments are often not aimed, or are even about us. The poster can’t know how each individual will react as they can’t know what life experiences we have suffered or benefitted from.

5 Likes

Yes, I can see that, and I think my Mum may have used it in that way on occasion :slight_smile: I didn’t intend that and would never advocate keeping quiet. Open honest discourse is always the aim, even if I don’t reach those heady heights.

1 Like

Bruss, we had a good chat about it during breakfast. Evil me tried it on the children. I said when things turned a bit noisy ‘if you don’t have anything positive to say…’ and the 8 year old completed the sentence :slight_smile:

After that we had an interesting conversation.

1 Like

Known sometimes as Thumper’s Rule - from the Disney film, Bambi…

The character Thumper first appears in the film Bambi , watching as Bambi) is first presented as the young prince to the creatures of the forest. He remarks that Bambi is “kinda wobbly” but is reproved by his mother, who makes him repeat what his father had impressed upon him that morning, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say nothing at all”.

This moral is now known by such names as the “Thumperian principle”, “Thumper’s rule” or “Thumper’s law”

2 Likes

I have learn’t something new today. :+1:

1 Like

A few snarky comments on a hifi forum really aren’t much to worry about and it would be a shame to focus on them. We have people in the public eye, such as MPs, getting death threats. We have vile abuse aimed at footballers who miss penalties. We have threats of torture and rape. It’s just awful. What sort of person would do that? I guess it’s the modern equivalent of a poison pen letter but the ability to hide behind a keyboard using a made up name on a social media platform has enabled things to go way, way too far.

4 Likes

Several years ago I was with a group of friends for a day and it was very enjoyable. I was amazed, but perhaps shouldn’t have been, when one of those present declared on social media 2 days later that anyone “who votes ————— (I’ll not declare the political identity) can go rot in hell”. Really?!

1 Like

It’s bonkers. They’d never say it to someone’s face, or hopefully not anyway.

So HH - you will be more friendly to the use of generous sized vehicles…

1 Like

……now that is mischief making! I for one may have been robust in my response to HH on the said incident but it never extended to dislike or worse.

Not at all. People who drive them but don’t need them are selfish and thoughtless. That’s not rude, merely a statement of fact.

The whole concept of ‘if you can’t say something nice don’t say anything’ is misplaced, especially in terms of hifi system building. If someone is thinking of improving part of their system but would be better doing something else, it’s sensible to say it, in an appropriate way of course. And if anyone says anything offensive - not ‘your X component is bad’ but racist, sexist or whatever, it needs to be called out. Otherwise the forum is simply full of obsequiousness and congratulations on spending lots of money’ posts. Robust debate is good, it’s knowing the line that’s difficult.

3 Likes

This forum is generally well behaved but that’s probably down to the people who frequent it being a bit more shall we politely say educated then more mainstream social media and definitely down to the light touch intervention by our leader. Take the F1 2021 thread became fairly hostile which is upsetting and yes there are replies that border on nasty but by and large it remains friendly and good humoured

4 Likes

Actually Nigel it’s an opinion - sorry!

12 Likes

I agree with the generally well behaved description of this forum. In fact, apart from an occasional work related post on LinkedIn, this forum is the only social media platform I use because of the overall good natured tone of voice, insightful comments and great suggestions for records. I’ve tried Twitter and FB in the past and shut down my accounts as I got fed up with the anger and malice or downright stupidity - I leave it to others to determine which of these is worse. And the mere fact that there is a thread like this, only shows that the members here are willing to reflect on their own behaviour which I think is great. So, as far as I’m concerned, no reason to be sombre.

2 Likes

In my opinion it’s a fact. But you are right of course. They may not be selfish but instead have a very small willy. Let’s move on.

2 Likes

For me , the Naim forum is one of the best…and pretty ‘balanced’ in a healthy way with many diverse cultures participating…

There are one or two self-opinionated folks, who have a propensity to talk ballcocks from time to time…however that is only my humble opinion.

Seasons greetings

3 Likes

Time for a big group hug. That should do the trick.

3 Likes