Is there a better speaker than SL2 for me?

Do you know anyone who has changed the woofer on SL2s?

What did they replace them with?

To ensure forum rules are not breached I would prefer it if discussion of modifications to the SL2 was not pursued here. Thanks.

1 Like

I wouldn’t myself mess with them, keep them as naim intended as that keeps the sound and value.
If you are no longer enjoying them, best to sell them and go find a replacement.
But speakers are a hard one to get right and you 100% need to do this at home on your system, yes it good to get advice from other members to try and narrow it down, but its still can be time consuming and frustrating.
It took me quite a while to find what i liked and suited my room over the sbl’s, but i did and very happy with the PMC fact 12’s, they work wonderfully with the 500dr.
The SL2’s are a great speaker along with the sbl’s ect, but they are also getting old these days, many i should think are well past there best they days, and would probably do with a complete overhaul if you can still get all the right bits, to bring them back to what they should be, the cost to do this right isnt going to be cheap and i dont know if its even possible.
So maybe new speakers are the way forward for you?

Hi Richard, I wasn’t for a moment suggesting to start mocking about with them yourselves :+1:t3: ATB Peter

I think they are only sold in a few shops in France. So not easy to test at home, specially outside France.
Perhaps @Stringerbell or @LaFeuille could tell more on Md3, as they have certainly listened to them at their meetings.

I have only found two speakers which I preferred to the SL2s I had, DBLs and Shahinian Diapasons, which is what I have now. I tried the first version of the Titans, which, I found lacking in articulacy, bass detail, treble clarity (despite the sweeter tweeter) and of course slam compared to the SL2s. The Diapasons can play relatively close to a wall (and of course be wheeled out for dedicated listening sessions) but not right up almost touching as the SL2s can.

1 Like

Hi Michael, very much agree with your early Titan impression.
Also what made you change your SL2s?
Interestingly somebody mentioned bi amping further up this thread. What’s the point? … if anything the SL2s need active drive to at least allow you a small window of adjusting the Snaxo for your personal preference of balance allowing the room its say. From memory it is a narrow window without it starting to close in the midband. Just my personal observation of course… ATB Peter
PS. It seems we have somewhat lost the OP in the process…

1 Like

I had a hankering for greater scale, particularly on symphonic and big choral works, which initially got me to add an nSub like the OP and it worked very well, but still left me wanting more. For a long time I couldn’t find anything that could do it without unacceptable trade-offs compared to the SL2s until I heard the Shahinians.

Agree with what you write about taking the SL2s active: magic! :slight_smile:

New tweeters same model. One of the old tweeters did not sound right.

1 Like

Well it would seem that I should probably find some other itch to scratch.
My mind was wandering and perhaps there is no hole to fix after all and my mid COVID treat to myself will have to take another form.

I suppose seeing as many still enjoy 30+ year old Naim electronics that it should be no surprise that the SL2 still stands up so well against current contenders. Seeing as it was set up again by Andy from Signals in 2017, re-torqued etc. I think I’ll leave well enough alone.

.sjb

3 Likes

Would members please respect forum rules here. Thank you.

Hi Richard

does the forum rules authorise me to testify all the goods things i think about the Xulyde MD3 that are really develloped in accordance with Naim’s speaker philosophy ?

Sure thing. Just so long as no links or directives to other forums or commercial sites.

I think that’s a wise decision. The grass certainly isn’t always greener. Why not treat yourself to a new record player?

i would first say that XULYDE’s speaker are in the same philosophy than Naim’s speaker.
The aim of their designer is to symply maximise the benefits of them.
XULYDE’s are 2 ways closed-box , are decoupled and have a very simple filter (to avoid consumming dynamic).
The body of the speaker is built around a very solid metal cage in order to obtain something really rigid that enable this speaker to be one of the faster i’ve ever heard and to produce very readable bass.

2 Likes

I had the same experience when I added an n-Sub to my NBLs. Adding a second n-Sub had a substantially larger beneficial effect. Thus could be a very cost effective upgrade for you as well.

Best regards

Hans

The close to wall requirement cuts the field rather. NBL or DBL of course but both are getting on even more than the SL2s, we’ve all seen the DBL refoaming fun and games. My NBLs on a 500 could still do with a bit more scale on orchestral works, though they’re nearly there. Outside of Naim or Briks I can only think of a handful of candidates.
The Xylodes mentioned above are now added to the list and I may be in a position to compare them to NBLs in a few months time.
There is a customer at my local dealership who I met at an ND555 launch event who had recently retired his NBLs for a pair of Audionote Es, I don’t know which version but not the cheapest.
Then there are the Wilson Duettes, I’ve not yet heard a pair but I remember @Adam.Meredith putting in a good word for them here as speakers he could live with.
Then there are the Larsens, I think someone reported on trying the 8s and finding they lacked a bit for timing but it then transpired that he had plasterboard walls so they remain a possibility, as do the 9s.

Would a 500 make more sense than changing speakers?

Hi Yeti, from my experience the 500 loads up the SL2s with more bass and IMO it could be a case of potentially leaning more on Sllop’s room acoustics. I do remember the 500 ( non DR at the time) giving the speakers a slightly different character, when the were moved to the short wall and were playing into an 26 foot depth. This is where I ended up selling them and landed with my Facts.

SJB, how about a nice new listening chair? :wink:

1 Like

How about swapping the TT2 for a Dave? :wink:

My two cents-
S600 that will fit your amplification like a glove