Is there a FAQ on having a dedicated HiFi Spur installed in your house?

Interesting Filipe,
What audible effects did you hear from the smart meter?
Thanks

It’s the cheap charger for the display that emits lots of RF. There has been lots on the new forum about RF. There are load of devices that generate RFI from LED lamps to wall warts. Just search this forum.

As for dedicated CUs, if it works for you ok. Fridges are problem, including those of neighbours.

Thanks Filipe,

I am aware of those issues. My enquiry was specific to what audible effect you heard from the smart meter?
:grinning:

I’d have to take the smart meter out. I hope it is no worse than a mobile phone as it is not connected to the mains.

Ah, ok so am I correct to conclude that you haven’t actually heard an effect ( you said earlier that you “noticed it” when it was close to your HiFi) your just positing a theoretical one.
Thanks

Sorry I’ve slightly misunderstood your comments.
So the RFI from the charger caused an audible degradation to SQ? How did this affect the sound you heard?
If I’ve understood correctly you haven’t heard or are aware of any degradation caused by the smart meter itself?
Thanks again

You have not read correctly. The smartmeter is in the meter cupboard. It communicates wirelessly with a display which uses a SMPS charger.

Unless you are really fascinated by how much electric/gas you use I would turn it off. The closer it is to DAC the greater the RFI. The music losses all it dynamics. It was very noticeable 1m away from a 252/300 DR system.

I would not be put off having a smartmeter using the mobile network.

Phil

Thanks Phil
So you aren’t hearing degradation from the smart meter itself
:grinning:

Not aware of any issues. Maybe others can answer your question. I can’t see why a mobile data transmitter should be worse than a phone.

Phil

1 Like

This may not be the right thread but, as one with dedicated mains ring and radial and quite some ‘to-and-fro’ with it all, here’s a mod’ I haven’t come across before and which my sparks actually suggested after a visit to another audiophile.

I had him replace the very expensive, big-name-audiophile-brand but small 2.1mm square cable in my radial with some shielded 10mm sq. but instead of using the earth wire he disconnected it, just putting a connector block on it. Instead, he connected a new earth wire to the shield of the cable and taped it to the cable all the way back to the main earth. Similar to interconnects (?) I guess the theory is that the shield acts as an antenna for RFI etc and the exterior earth drains it away without it getting to the live and neutral.
Well, I don’t know if the huge improvement - inc. bigger bass, blacker backgrounds, smoother top end and greater ‘air’ - is down to this earth trick or the 0.0 ohms impedance figure compared to the previous cable’s 0.3 ohms; or something else. But it can’t have done any harm. Anyone else tried this?

Is this safe and in compliance with regulations? It seems wrong that the earth wire is not connected.

I suspect the improvement is from the bigger cable. Certainly the earthing arrangements are important - I’ve had a 10mm cable for years and it was installed with the earth from its own consumer unit piggy backed off the main CU. A couple of years ago we had a new main CU and at the same time we changed the earth on the hifi CU so that it went back to the meter rather than piggy backing. I’m sure it sounded a bit better though of course it could be our old friend expectation bias.

Eagle, are you in the Uk? And did your electrician confirm that this meets current electrical code regs?

Yes UK and it was my electrician who suggested it, not me - after doing the same at a different instal. Before letting him do it I asked if it was legal but of course it was or he wouldn’t have suggested/certificated it. I’m very risk averse and legal-minded. May not be compliant outside uk…

I was a bit suspicious too, when I read your post, but if it’s been signed off, fair enough. Presumably the sheild is connected at both ends of the cable (consumer unit and socket) as a replacement for the internal earth wire?

I normally A/B everything HH but too much bother with this. It’s also markedly better than the dedicated ring which is on 4mm Sq, so I’ve ordered another run of the 10mm and will change it for same radial/earth set up. Then I’m finally done with mains.

I’m pretty sure the earth cable is only connected to shield at socket end, Chrissu. I’ll have a look, shortly and confirm either way.

If your electricity has signed it off, I’m sure it’s fine. I was struggling to visualise how the earth was connected to the socket, without which it would obviously be dangerous/illegal.

1 Like

Ah yes, he did describe how he connected to socket but I’ve forgotten! I’m not inclined to take it apart to look either!

I might see if I can get in touch with the guy who dreamt this method up as I’ve never come across it before. He’s local and I’d be interested to find out his thinking. Perhaps he has some other gems up his sleeve.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.