Is there a particular CISCO 2960 that people are using?

I use a very particular Cisco Catalyst 2960 switch - it’s the one that sits in my living room!

3 Likes

Agreed :joy:

G

1 Like

I assume these are the current models. Or is there a difference in model names country to country?

How many of you have the CG, or Gigabyte?

I am using two 2960G switches.

I have one gig white CG switch and two of the old blue ones. Although one of the blues started to overheat so it got replaced with the white one. Notice no difference between them, other than the whites seem to handle heat dissipation better.

I have a laughably large and totally inappropriate (for the living room) 2960-24TT-L…complete with the rack brackets. I searched high and low for an eight port unit here in HK and the UK and finally a vendor in the UK took pity on me and agreed to send me the unit referred to above. It delivers the improvements that everyone on this Forum has talked about and for a modest £40 outlay, well worth the money. I’m still on the lookout for an eight port unit to restore domestic harmony.

i see you an unitserve / uptone js2. It’s not common. I had this combo some weeks ago too.

I followed your lead a few years ago.

2 Likes

are you satisfied with it?

Yes but not particularly good VFM. I don’t think we are the permitted to talk about non authorised power supplies on this Forum so best leave it at that. The Cisco has been a nice addition.

1 Like

If people using the CISCO 2960 have the unit in a 19inch comms rack, the part code for the rack ears is RCKMNT-19-CMPCT available on ebay for not much money. Cheaper and better than using a rack shelf in fact.

my cisco sits on the fraimlite shelf, under some little isolation pods. I tried a lot of other places, on the floor, on other rack, but it sounds best on the fraimlite.
I tried, following some advices here, to connect to other mains than the hifi components. However it sounds the best connected to the same powerblock as my other components.
Try yourself where and how it’s best for sound. However the cisco is sensitive to microphony and can be improved by a better electrical connection ( powerblock and power cable).

I have a SolidSteel shelf for my RCMs sitting next to my Fraim racks. My 2960 sits underneath it on some sorbothane discs that keep it from sliding on the hardwood floor. It’s plugged into a Wiremold that’s on a different circuit from the Naim gear

Mine were included but I don’t have a rack to use them on.

got my 2960 now.

would i be right in thinking that if i placed it upside down it wouldnt affect performance?

would make cabling much easier

You may affect the cooling, depending on what type it is. The white ones have holes in the top which you would want to keep open, for example. Other than that, there are no moving parts, and you’ll probably be fine.

But the music will come out upside down! :rofl:

3 Likes

Any 8 port device will be fine.
The 8 port versions have no fan and are therefore silent.
The key thing is the Catalyst design. The Catalyst 3560s also ‘sound’ good and what I currently use.

Simon

There’s a connector on the left that says console, a bank of 7 connectors then two yellow on the right.

Which do I use for input and which output?

Also there’s a button with 4 options which light up - which one do I select?

Any help greatly appreciated