Is there a return to vintage hifi look?

The new produced Hifi Rose RA 180 integrated. It reminds me Cello palette from the 80’s, 90’s.
Do we really need all these buttons ?

2 Likes

I don’t know if all the buttons are needed but as a design it is a complete dog’s dinner - what a mess

7 Likes

I agree with crispyduck, what a mess. The aesthetics of that particular amp aside though, I wonder if we might be in for a few more retro styled boxes. Certainly if the watch world is anything to go by then modern releases of vintage styled kit would be popular.

4 Likes

That’s not vintage. Just ugly.

What’s with the gears? Is this a watch?

4 Likes

It solves the speaker cable selection problem by requiring you to install steam pipes.

7 Likes

Some people like more Bling

3 Likes

You really should be using silver-lined steam pipes, as the silver naturally cleanses any impurities from the steam thereby ensuring that your sound is not tainted by anything but pure H2O arriving at your speakers.

Also, have you installed steam pipe risers to ensure that condensation can be evenly distributed across the pipe and that uneven corrosion is avoided.

2 Likes

Good points. There may be new challenges for burn-in and warm-up as well

1 Like

I have always had a soft spot for the big brushed aluminium fascia’s of the 70’s receivers with big back lit green tuning dials and weighted tuning knob, my family couldn’t afford them then and it seems that I can’t justify their cost now that the vintage scene seems to be on the up. :0(

This is “retro” done properly: Leak.

10 Likes

A resurrected British name with products now made in China.

Awful.

2 Likes

Are they? (I have no idea - I ask because not all things made in China are awful!)

4 Likes

As for the subject, I’ve always disliked chrome facias, and all the more so when bristling with knobs and dials. But then things go in fashions, and manufacturers often seem to like changing appearance to be fashionable because they can sell more to people who are fashion-conscious. (Personally I strongly dislike fashion, and see it as despicable face of our throw-away society.)

They may be wonderful, but I don’t see the point of producing a retro product, which is only trading on a name and vintage look. It’s certainly not LEAK.

1 Like

Here the legend of the buttons

Some have absolutely no utility.

1 Like

A bit in Tivoli style

Pure direct button, renders the rest redundant, all OTT steampunk.

Doubt they’ve ever used a classic Densen , absolute opposite design principle.

1 Like

I’m reminded of Nigel Tufnel’s guitar which incorporated a speedometer so he could monitor how fast he was playing. Slightly unnecessary.

5 Likes

Your recent work is much much nicer. Vintage with modern functions.
You could sell it.

1 Like

What does it do that pure direct switch ?