Is there somewhere that de-mystifies the names/purpose/properties of the various Naim components?

That is reassuring to hear. How much does a service cost? Is it the £350 that people keep mentioning?

I forgot to mention this. There are service flat rates differing by model and range. Your dealer will have details for everything, but for orientation:

• I paid recently 165 EUR inc. VAT & shipping (from and to Germany) for my CD5i-2
  • Recently I was quoted (by Naim directly) £330 inc VAT for a CDS3 service and also £330 inc VAT for an XPS2 service (non-DR, and just the service without the DR upgrade of course)

The thing with NAIM is that the company offers both simplicity and musicality. Therefore you are not to invest on super powered amplifiers nor gimmicks such as DACs or other in-between devices. You do have options over the choice of sources (turntable, CD or DVD, streaming players) and loudspeakers and their cables; provided the speakers are efficient enough (above 90 dB/watt/m.
To point it out simply, There should be the least interference between the source you play and your ears.

This is a fascinating thread. Does anyone know what the differences are between a 42, 42s and 42.5?
Thanks.

Apart from minor production changes during the NAC42’s life, there’s basically no difference between a NAC42, NAC42N, and a NAC42S - the N and the S just refer to the phono cards that were installed when supplied new. Note that NAC42s from the first year had a slightly shorter chassis than subsequent units (the matching NAP110 also had a similarly short chassis for the first year).

The difference between a NAC42 and a NAC42.5 is that the former used a single rail 24V DC supply, whereas the latter went to a dual rail 24V DC supply.

There was also a NAC42XO which was a NAC42 with an additional active crossover board inside. It was designed to be powered either by the internal pre-amp supplies of a pair of NAP110s, or by the dual supplies in a SNAPS. Some were later converted back into regular NAC42s.

4 Likes

I would be careful positioning the Nova’s pre-amp section and the pairing with a 250DR as a mere stepping stone to Classics nirvana. I have that pairing right now having replaced an ageing 252/300 combo and am entirely happy with my decision. However I do have an interest in the streaming platform (which has replaced my CDS3/XPS CD source) which is also excellent, and am also happy with the new box count. Im also not convinced that the 202/HiCap would better it?

Possibly. Like I wrote somewhere above, as always it is the OP who has to decide. I am using a Nova into 300 (for now until the 252/SC finally can be picked up) and it is really good, also mentioned above, But IF we ignore the streamer (as the OP seemed to say), a dedicated preamp will most likely be better, IMO. Certainly a 282+200 would be a strong contender at a very similar price point.

Of course if the OP already had a Nova this is a bit moot. I am unclear on that. But starting from scratch, IF streaming is to be ignored, as well as other Nova features, recommending Nova+250 would seem a bit odd

2 Likes

That is the beauty of the Nova which has attracted me fromt he beginning. It incorporates a number of functions into one compact and beautifully designed box, thus avoiding having endless black boxes stacked up.

Hence why I am trying to establish Nova’s capabilities as a pre-amp. Everythign Naim is designed to push one towards the upgrade path. However, I do not subscribe to that philosophy and have no intention of swapping boxes every few years just to get that extra little bit of increasse in sound quality.

I already have a Nova and use it for streaming and with a turntable. Very satisfied with the sound however i am conscous that it has limitations in what speakers it can drive well. Hence why i am thinking of getting an amp and using Nova as a preamp.

For me it is the best of both worlds. Minimum number of boxes and satisfying all my needs.

I guess you are right, I will have to listen to amp+ Nova vs Amp + dedicated pre to hear for myself if there is a major difference. The main thing I am interested is whether I am missing anything by using Nova (digital) instead of a dedicated pre (analogue). If the difference is minimal then I am happy to stick with my Nova. If there is a major difference then I will consider getting a dedicated pre int he future and keep the Nova for my other room.

1 Like

That is why I added a 250DR. I know Obelisks are hard to drive although the Nova on its own was making a sterling effort, however once the 250DR was added the music is now effortlessly delivered. I was used to the 300 driving the obelisks for years but the 250DR is at least equal to the task (note 300 non DR). IMO a Nova/250DR is lovely combination…

3 Likes

One way to navigate the system simply - is to look at the prices and then your wallet!
Whatever the justification is for not building into product a suitable Power Supply and then
pluging extra things into a all ready correct sounding Mains hierarchy which Will Reduce
sound quality. It is not so shared by all makers Audio Research etc.

I see. Sorry for my confusion, I was focusing more on trying to clear up what seemed misunderstandings around “replacing Nova with 250”.

I can totally understand that you are satisfied with the sound. It’s a great device, and box count is of course an important consideration. I didn’t bother testing its amp output as it was always just a gap filler - doubly so when I succumbed, stopped waiting for a “NAC-N 272-2” or “372”, and ordered NDX2 + 555PS DR and NAC 252 + Supercap DR :crazy_face:

So I have been running it into the NAP 300 DR the past few months, and sure it is very good. (The NDX2 etc. is a different world though, and I am in the happy situation to actually want lots of boxes and nobody can (or will) stop me :oncoming_police_car: )

In your situation, it will simply depend on your system, room, ears, as usual. You will have to try, both a separate power amp driven from the Nova (also compare the NAP 250 with a NAP 200, it might be good enough and is cheaper), as well as Nova vs a dedicated analog preamp & power amp. (As mentioned, NAC282 and NAP 200 might be worthwhile - the 282 is very good and it can be powered from the 200, so one would just have the smallish additional NAPSC box (if we discount the streamer), and 282+200 is cheaper than Nova+250 (and for the difference someone starting fresh could get a small and very good streamer, so it’s a reasonable comparison all in all)

2 Likes

That’s my understanding for the star and nova at least, as they have a pre amp output, so you could add a Naim or other power amp if desired. I have the Uniti Star and am amazed at the sound quality and power it delivers for 70w/ch. Would be interested in hearing others’ experiences of the impact of adding a power amp to it.

Back in the early 90’s I had a Nait 3 and I enjoyed it a lot, in my quest to move up the “ Naim Ladder “ I couldn’t grasp how a external power supply to run a pre amp could possibly make a difference or how a better pre amp could make a difference, why could I not just plug in a 250 into the Nait 3
So I ordered a pre amp kit for my Nait 3, taking it apart and fallowing the instructions I realized I could put the pre amp kit in and still power the pre amp board with the internal supply and thus plug a 250 into it with out the need to buy a hip cap or flat cap.
The Naim rep back in those days was a fellow named Terry Richardson and I told him my plan to do this which he replied “ it won’t sound any better doing all this then your Nait 3 sounds now, it may play louder but it won’t play any better “
Anyway agents his advice I did the mod and ordered a 250 and fired it all up and to my surprise Terry was right, it did play louder but it did not play any better.
I know things have changed a little bit in hifi and with Naim but I think you will find that adding a power amp ( be it Naim or other ) to a Nova will pretty much be the same … it will play louder but it won’t play better … take Terry’s advice

2 Likes

That’s great counsel thanks. I have no intent to do that with mine. I’m so pleased with the result I have now, that I don’t see the need and it certainly doesn’t need to play any louder. Thanks for the perspective.

So I take it you are saying that Amp+Nova will still sound the same and the only way t notice a difference in sound is to go for a better preamp (282, etc)?

I’m a firm believer in “ garbage in garbage out “ source first approach

Now in saying that, if you have a Nova and it’s a mullet system ( speaker heavy ) that are a bad match for the Nova then it is possible that adding a bigger amp to control / drive the speakers might be worth trying but that will not make the Dac better or the pre amp better or ultimately a true sonic improvement.

1 Like

I wouldn’t disagree with that. I got to hear a Nova this week for the first time. I’m having hearing issues and was wondering if a Nova would be ‘good enough’ for me in place of the 272/300 and with the existing speakers. They are an easy load and I was hoping for great things. But whereas I’m used to deep tight bass with absolute control, with the Nova the tightness went and I even got boom, which has never happened with them before. So yes, adding a good power amp will very likely improve control, however it cannot as you say provide the things that can only come from the front end.

1 Like

The tight bass and control defiantly benefits from better sources and amplification along with the dedicated power supplies. I’ve added a sub to my Nova in my second system and that is very beneficial in improving the bass and overall scale and soundstage, so it can be quite an effective option when looking at a simpler setup.

I did try an additional power amp, but whilst it gave more slam, the soundstage was reduced. So, I’d consider a sub rather than an additional power amp as a good option.

Yes, I was sorry to read of the hearing issues, a tough one for us who love music so much. Given you have the 555PS and easy load speakers, you could go NDX2 with a SN3. That would give you a nice tickle up in source and give much more cohesion and soundstage over the Nova.

1 Like

Thanks Mike. Yes I could do that but it wouldn’t be a reduced system financially in the way that a Nova would - I’ve done the sums. My purpose in the little anecdote was simply to add to the post by hififofum. Given the straight choice between Nova and power amp or NDX2/SN3, the latter seems a far better idea. In my case, with the 300DR, which is an extraordinary amplifier, and the 272/555, a NDX2/555/SN3 would be different but very likely neither better nor worse. With one distinctly dodgy ear it’s musical communication that’s the goal, rather than soundstage!! I’ve never been concerned with the latter anyway.

3 Likes