Is this normal/common/within acceptable tolerances?

Spoke to the dealer yesterday and they understand my concerns.

They obviously need to see it first, and they do wonder if they might be able to clean it up if it’s some kind of residue not an inherent defect in the fascia.

I was going to wrap it in something soft other than the bag it came with as I’m convinced the bag is dirty inside due to something that was either on the unit and has coated the bag or perhaps in the bag itself - either way there are sections of the bag that look grimey and I don’t want the grime spreading even more if that makes sense, irrespective of whether it needs to go back to Naim. Had planned to pop it up there late yesterday afternoon but weather took a turn for the worse.

Have been hectic today with meetings and getting car MOT done. Busy 12 hour work day tomorrow so it’s likely to be Friday afternoon of Saturday now.

In all honesty, it’s probably not the best time of year to try and sort things out should it need returning to Naim, but they’ve noted the problem. It would be highly unlikely that the dealer has another new unit to simply swap out.

There was a small white packet in the bag… :thinking:

Pretty sure it’s silica gel though!

2 Likes

Don’t suppose you noted the thread - I’ve tried a search or two but probably not used relevant phrases.

I can’t recall the thread and the search function hasn’t been much help.

1 Like

Thanks - I often find seraches aren’t great on several sites unless you nail specific words/phrases relating to post you remember.

This one?

2 Likes

I would inform your dealer now but set up your new system and enjoy and if you want it looked at, take it to the dealer for return for correction under warranty in the New Year.

In the meantime, you can enjoy a very nice system over Christmas.

2 Likes

I have bought a couple of Naim products from dealers in London and Berlin. Both have arrived in a thin, soft fibre bag as a membrane between the product and the protective foam. This bag was sealed, as was the box.
If this came from a Naim dealer, Naim ought to be informed.
The respondents who suggest that you should not clean it are correct. Get this back to the dealer immediately; longer you leave it the harder it will be to get them to replace it. I would not accept an offer to clean it, it is clearly soiled.
The Berlin dealer had an ex demo they offered me at a reduced price, instead of waiting for the next delivery. I waited.

1 Like

Reading all these replies I fell the original poster is messing around hasn’t had time to do this do that. If unit was supposed to be new why is there a flaw in case finish? Cleaning is not an option I would have been onto dealer straight away not wasting time posting on here. My Atc Scm 40 speakers when picked up from my dealer were factory sealed along with Cyrus cdi xr still in shipping outer carton from Cyrus.
The first Cyrus cdi xr I received developed a fault ( reading TOC and ejecting disc sometimes not a major problem) . Rung my dealer the following day explained the situation he was extremely apologetic and sent a brand new factory sealed out by next day.
Arrived perfect condition absolutely no problems since he also arranged collection of faulty one after the weekend

Well I figured the OP might live far away (as quite a few here seem to) from his dealer, so if it cleaned up easily it might avoid a needless tediously trek. But yeah, anything that didn’t easily wipe off would obviously require dealer intervention. Hardly rocket science.

1 Like

The vast majority of Naim products I’ve bought have come protected by polythene bags with foam supporting the unit in the sealed bag not ‘soft fibre’ bags (maybe the Nova did?). The outer box was perfectly sealed with Naim tape.

Hi Clare, would you be able to PM me when you have a minute if that’s feasible ? (Assuming it’s convenient at this time of year of course!)

How come you’ve not sorted this yet? The longer you leave it the harder it might be.

2 Likes

Just return it!!!

1 Like

Work primarily, plus multiple other unavoidable commitments during ‘opening hours’ which were arranged long before I picked the item up. Dealer already aware on the first day they opened after the weekend. Add some logistical considerations, though I confess I have a tendency to overthink things.

1 Like

It is always a pain when work gets in the way of hifi. Sadly without it there is no money for hifi.

1 Like

Sorry, I forget that people have to work. I agree you do seem to be overthinking things, so stop fannying about, stick it in the car and get it back to your dealer. Naim can’t sort it out until you do something. As soon as the dealer agrees its poor state they can order a new one and you may even get it for Christmas. So get a wiggle on!

5 Likes

I’ve also seen this white residue on a number of items I have, manufactured from 2018 onwards.
Bought new from three different dealers.

Interestingly products I have from 2003 do not.

Cleaning with Astonish Window & Glass cleaner seems to resolve the problem though.

1 Like

@Alley_Cat , may I ask whether or not you managed to resolve this?

1 Like

Currently being dealt with by the dealer/Naim. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks for asking.

3 Likes