Is this normal/common/within acceptable tolerances?

Well, I must say that when I got the box home it dawned on me I’d never seen a Naim product sealed with ‘Naim’ tape - a bit like the Amazon tape with criss-crossing fibres. Perhaps that’s new but it made me wonder if it had been re-sealed. I can’t see any holes in the box lid however to suggest the box has been opened before.

First thing I noticed about the polythene bag when I opened it was a small diagonal slit in it - I was convinced I was going to find a scratch on the top of the case, but it was ok.

I’ve just had a peek at the fascia with a flashlight and apart from the whiter areas on each side there are linear darker smeared areas left/right extending towards the centre. You really need good lighting to see these things but they’re there.

Did you get it from a reputable dealer? Are they pulling a fast one?

Yes. Doubt it.

Many years ago I bought a JVC video recorder from Comet. When I opened the box it contained a Ferguson video recorder, in the video recorder was a tape, on the tape there was security footage. Obviously they’d accidently given me the wrong box.

Maybe the dealer has accidently given you a box containing an ex-dem unit.

Is the serial number what you’d expect for late 2021.

1 Like

I bought a reasonably expensive coffee maker from Argos some year ago.

When I opened the box the previous purchaser had been kind enough to leave a load of coffee beans in the bean ‘hopper’ as well a a lovely clump of dark hair! Naturally that went back.

EEEEEK!!! :nauseated_face:

I don’t think it’s ex-dem, I was told it was new, and the serial number seems quite current - I wondered the same thing and checked the support pages, it’s well into the 500,000+ range, and was shipped from Naim late November.

My only other thought was having seen an often mentioned dealer selling ‘B Grade’ products some weeks ago (refurbished I assume), could it be something like that, but how would one know from the serial number?

I’be bought refurbished Apple products in the past and they assign a different product code for refurbished models.

A proper fistful of hair, no idea if fake or real!

There are sometimes when that question no longer matters. This being one of them. If it was not part of a Halloween prank it goes in the “O hells no” box.

1 Like

This is an imperfect composite of 3 images using a torch angled downward onto the fascia and pictures taken single handed on the iPhone:

Most speckles on the top are a light coating of dust.

It needs to go back to your dealer as soon as they open next week. Just box it up. Hopefully by copying in @Naim.Marketing Naim can expedite a rapid replacement and look into what went wrong here. It should never have arrived with you in that terrible state. Mistakes happen unfortunately and it’s such a shame when it’s something you’ve been waiting a while to get.

2 Likes

You have paid out a goodly chunk of money do not accept anything less than perfection.

I would check the serial number on the back of the unit matches the box too and against the table found on class A of Sheffield to make sure it is the latest production. It is worth checking if someone has switched units or similar.

I suspect this is a unit that the dealer has had out on demo or has had at home but not properly prepared for sale.

1 Like

Thanks.

Serial number matches the box.

It came from another branch within the dealership group after I mentioned to local team that I was after one and to put ‘feelers out’ for any ex-demo models, especially given supply chain issues delaying orders. Seems this was one a customer at another store had ordered but ultimately didn’t want and became available at short notice. As far as I can tell, it’s an unopened box so I suspect coincidence.

It’s a bit baffling really.

Is it an iffy front fascia, external contamination or even possibly an internal component that’s faulty and leaked in transit? I guess it’s not that relevant but if just an iffy front fascia that might be something a dealer could replace, but should you accept that from new? I’d certainly want reassurance that internal components are tickety-boo :slightly_smiling_face:

So, is it ex-demo? Or had the dealer had it out of box and repackaged it? I’ve had new Naim gear that my dealer has opened and checked before sending it to me.

Highly doubtful as far as I can see. It came from another branch, a complete coincidence that one was available and in stock newly arrived as someone had pulled out of purchasing it.

I thoroughly trust my local Naim dealership and it goes both ways which is why they are often happy to loan me shop floor items to try for extended periods (weeks not days) whether I purchase or not.

I’m hoping it’s a simple cosmetic issue and can be easily remedied.

I’m not even that worked up about it as I know it will be sorted sooner or later.

1 Like

I picked it up in person, they offered to open the box and show me but there seemed little point as it was new and would only have resulted in a less secure box to carry to the car.

1 Like

Either it is “A” grade stock ( IE brand-new with cosmetic faults), or “B” grade which has been sold as being brand new. The latter is more concerning, but either way, I would certainly agree with other people: do not attempt to clean it, particularly with a solvent, and aim to return it to the dealer asap

Having worked in electrical retail, it was relatively easy to re-seal boxes as long as no staples were initially used in sealing the box. Getting the internal packaging to look “new” was more difficult…

1 Like

I would carefully wipe it down with a dampened cloth then buff with a dry microfibre cloth. If this doesn’t completely remove the marks then return it. Also, check to ensure the bottom of the cardboard box hasn’t been opened and resealed (though it’s normally stapled together).

1 Like

I’m guessing unfortunately the last person who handled it into the box had just used some hand sanitiser. Which, within a running workplace are everywhere you look and encouraged to be used as much as possible.