Is this the beginning of the end?

BMW makes some of the most unreliable cars at their level of the industry. I owned a 325i and a 540i, both new, and I’d never own another one. I can’t believe I bought the second one.
So much for understanding automobiles, or your industry. Not a great example.

Well said …

You do realise that a RR is effectively a BMW rebadged? So I’m not sure what your point is.

Jimdog, I’m not sure whether you just didn’t notice or not, but Naim and Focal have been partnered for 10 years now…

1 Like

It just wasn’t a good example to use to explain your point. They don’t run their business better than Naim does. Maybe not as well …

1 Like

If you actually read the history of my post, which was in response to someone else using RR and BWM as an example of a successful merger. My point was simply that BMW only licensed the RR brand, and this makes sense for them as they are already supplying key components to RR (engine etc)

So just to spell it out, BMW /RR isnt a good example to compare to Focal / Naim.

Oh, well that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to clarify it for me.

1 Like

There is a crisis dear friends, a question of crisis and money … We will all be invaded by lack of money and worse and worse for all sectors … :sob::joy::rofl:

Well it seemed that Charlie was not going to stay that long at Naim

Plus the costs of employing him were probably considerable.

As long as Naim is handmade in Salisbury, that will continue to be the appeal

I would like to see more collaboration between Naim and Focal

For example, focal active studio monitors with Naim class AB amplification !

Focal speakers with more Naim input, specifically made for Naim amplifiers.

Focal cinema amplifiers, but with Naim amplification.

As long as both companies can keep their costs, and the cost to the customers under control.

4 Likes

I totally agree with French rooster on his comments, good on ya!

3 Likes

I think the vast majority of people are well aware of this - but it doesn’t change the fact that I don’t know anybody that uses Naim with Focal (queue an avalanche of responses correcting me I’m sure!) - not knowing the Focal brand very well, I similarly don’t know if the synergies have worked well for them. In their home market perhaps - but again - I don’t hear of people coming to Naim from Focal.

So there are “coming togethers” for all sorts of reasons.

Some corporates like to merge everything right down the line, and make the companies they own in to pure “brands”, it’s more efficient, but much of what is special can be lost.

Others like to maintain separacy in business structures (manufacturing, HR, Sales, R&D) and only really nod to looking for market synergies. This is a more expensive approach, but the golden eggs are safe - and synergies come in time through natural collaboration starting at board level, and it usually starts with procurement and back office functions like Finance. This second model also allows for the simpler spinning in or out of additional businesses - so maybe there is something in that here too.

I’ve worked at senior levels in both types of structures - both work in areas - both have challenges and
Frustrations.

Naim and Focal has always felt very much like the second model.

4 Likes

First of the avalanche

We did for many years and they were a stunning combination, if it wasn’t for the need of having speakers that would sit against a wall we would still have them together

well both are individual and unique brands

building a brand takes enormous effort. I am sure the shareholders understand this

I would not be interested in a “NaimFocal” product. I am quite sure others would not be either.

it is nice to know the Muso has drivers from Focal though.

1 Like

In my experience working for EDF and Ericsson, they were excellently managed even though owned by “foreigners”.

1 Like

Plenty of good things come from working together on projects; the latest Mu-So2 is a good example of making a great product even better through Naim and Focal sharing expertise.

4 Likes

Talking of Anglo french collaboration don’t forget the concord projrdct slight budget overrun there😂

Would that include the ND555 user manual, which Charlie promised soon after his arrival?

2 Likes

But what a feat of engineering. It’s still pretty awesome half a century on.

1 Like

Yooowww :smirk_cat:

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

(Would be nice to have one though - don’t think I’d ever use it mind you! - but nice to have)

But a wonderful amazing product, never matched or beaten for what it was capable of doing. And if it hadn’t been for restrictions by countries it flew over and hence usable routes it likely would have sold many more.