Is this why you/we/I buy Naim?

Hi , how is the second system going ?

Have the speakers :loud_sound: been delivered?

Looking forward to pictures.

This is why, I said to myself someday I have to have it. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

@Ian2001 Everyone (myself included) will have to wait until Octā€™ when I unbox this new stuff. Speakers are still a few weeks off. But we are in the middle of a house move, so nothing gets set up and played with until we make it to the other end of the country.

@anon56221831 Haha. You mean, based on that pic, finally a hifi that requires no racks, speakers stands, or (if the underside of the LP12 frame is anything to go by) cables?

1 Like

I find it interesting that Naim appears to need a fair bit more maintenance than other brands. In fact Iā€™ve never really heard of it as a given before. Sure Levinson and Threshold, Krell and a few others get caps replaced but itā€™s usually at 25+ years or so. Bryson warranties their gear for 20 years.

You can use a Naim amp for 25 years without a service. No problem.

Naim quote service intervals based on the period after which there is a decline in performance, not when things start falling apart.

You can take you car in to be fixed every few years when things break. Or you can have it serviced every year without a fault and never have anything break. The latter might cost more time and money but ensures a smoother ride and few surprises.

4 Likes

I had Naim amplification for thirty plus years, it needed one trip to HQ.

The reasons I have Naim sources only, are box count, synergy with my speakers and a pair of dodgy knees. The boxes needed a service after twenty years and with my knees I would have found it very difficult to spend the time connecting five boxes and associated cables.

If starting afresh with the same budget I would unhesitatingly use Naim amplification but seek speakers that had greater synergy with the amplification

No way would I have bought a 552 If I wasnā€™t confident it could be a long term proposition and be fully supported if something went wrong.

To answer the OPā€™s question - yes, the fact that old products can be serviced has been a key factor in climbing the Naim ladder.

Gary

3 Likes

I buy Naim because of the sound first, build second and thirdly its strength on the used market. I would never pay Naimā€™s price for a factory service anyway and would look for third party alternative so unless your classing Darren at Class A as OEM then Naim official servicing wouldnā€™t be a consideration for me when buying if I could afford to buy 500 series components then perhaps it would be a different story.

Iā€™d like to add again though that Naim Audio make some fantastic, beautifully engineered products I know it may seem that Iā€™m a bit negative about Naim sometimes but thatā€™s just my personal experience no doubt they are a top, top Audio manufacturer.

1 Like

Yes I have. In many ways he is now many MF owners last chance. But, that assumes he has access to spares. JS upgraded my power amp three years ago. And a fine job he did too.
But in effect, any MF owner now relies on a disgruntled ex employee for service on MF kit.
My point about Naim being, that on going service is part of their business model.

Just to add context Iā€™ve just had a Linx Nebula amp serviced, had a new Alps pot fitted, had the internal phono stage upgraded all buy the exact same person who helped build and set it up at the Linx factory twenty years ago all for Ā£141 including postage back to me.

No sign of a rack there.

@feeling_zen
This made me Remind the barriers found when making a watch collection.
In the begining its all good. ( buy/buy/buy)ā€¦
But when the maintenance time comesā€¦

1 Like

Ah, Hi Fi Review. :sunglasses:

It seems that Chris Frankland is quite enthusiastic about Audio Note at the moment. :astonished:

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good price. The service for my MF nu vista pre was Ā£600. And neither the volume pot nor the selector were changed. Just all the caps and a few transistors. Not cheap. But cheaper than MF, who at the time did do work. But not now.

Naim sound signature for me. Listened to:

• Krell, Arcam, NAD, and others, and when there was a direct head to head with the Arcam I heard a veil lifted off the speakers with just a little nait 5i playing some blues.

It just so happens that service and other supporting factors come with the naim.

Scott

And thatā€™s a good point. It is about the sound. Without that, the product/brand is not worth maintaining.
Interesting how from an early stage JV must have recognised that. Create a good sound, one that people want to maintain, and a business model that includes maintaining it.

2 Likes

That too is a great point the servicing is a part of the business model designed to sell more units and to make money.

I believe that @Adam.Meredith was the one who had the honour of taking that picture for HIFI Reviews. He is guilty. :slight_smile:

Maybe it was intentional that no racks, no cables, no speaker stands from artistic POV?

1 Like

One of the lessonā€™s Iā€™ve learned over the years is to buy good quality,rather than trying to save a few $'s. I think naim also embodies that thinking. Sound quality is first and foremost, but if it constantly needs repairs and tinkering, I donā€™t need that. My ideal system would include tube equipment, but the constant fussing made it largely something for far off in the future- well far off in the future included a spinal cord injury and lack of mobility, requiring my dealer to do much of my wiring and stacking. So ease of use, and reliability became even more important. Trouble free naim is greatly appreciated.

6 Likes

I have an all tubes preamp, since 10 years. Not a single problem. I send it for service recently and paid only 100 pounds. I have only to change the 5 tubes every 3000/4000 hours, so every 8 years too.

1 Like