Isolation for turntables

Hi, I have to make a choice: I am undecided whether to order for under my black Marantz TT15 S1 turntable the project ground it-black platform or to have the glazier make me a 12 mm thick black tempered glass with balls and naive spheres … My doubt is whether glass is better than wood as insulation … I really don’t know …

For Richard Dane: If I put the good glass under the record, would it be preferable to endorse my lid above glass or glass inside the lid?

I have experimented with glass under my Techy and did’t like it. Far too bright.
I ended up with a bamboo chopping board (bought from Wilko) on some sorbothane feet.
Bear in mind it was a different turntable so ymmv.

The Collaro Audio Red Mat (belt driven version) does a very good job of improving all aspects of vinyl replay. Good starting point.

Phil

But the Red Collar is a mat …

It isolates at one of the most important points. Try it and return if not satisfied.

Phil

Hum , not really agree on that Flipe. At least from my experience with different rega decks and SME, with different supports and mats.

Beyond the mat, which will surely make its game, I look for some base (wood or glass or other) that simply isolates the turntable from the mobile …

But have you tried it? I have, and agree with others.

Phil

Wall shelf :+1:

I don’t say it doesn’t improve. I have a leather heavy mat which replaced the stock rp10 mat, which improved the sound. The collaro may improve still.
But the isolation under a turntable is the most important, specially a turntable. My opinion of course, not only mine.

1 Like

FR, I do have mine on Naim glass, cups and balls after trying the Rega wall shelf. Positioning of TT and phono relative to everything else is very important. I’m back using the lid and very happy again. Can’t say what the difference with leather mat is but I’m happy with Collaro which was an immediately noticeable improvement.

Phil

2 Likes

It will be difficult for Andrea to know if glass with cups and ball are better or not vs the Project ground platform…

The only thing I’ve ever used that sounds good for turntables is wood or MDF. Glass, stone, etc. suck the warmth out of music, IMHO.

I use a 3" maple Delos platform from isoAcoustics. It has their excellent isolators imbedded in the base for feet.

1 Like

Of course, very difficult … Until today I have the Marantz series mat I don’t know if it’s built for its purpose … I only know that we always spend money for improvements … I also like the pro ject platform and black but is too precise with the measurements

It’s not precise for the measurements ?

Here, if you were talking about project deluxe ground platform

Features: * Dark grey piano lacquer finish

• Filled with granulate for universal damping
  • Height-adjustable spikes. Three or four spikes may be fitted according to taste/application.
  • Ground it deluxe 3. Four height-adjustable, magnet supported feet
  • Dimensions Ground it deluxe 1 (W x H x D): 500 x 65 x 400mm (height incl. spikes). H without spikes 45mm
  • Dimensions Ground it deluxe 2 (W x H x D): 435 x 65 x 340mm (height incl. spikes). H without spikes 45mm
  • Dimensions Ground it deluxe 3 (W x H x D): 500 x 65 x 400mm (height incl. feets). H without feets 45mm
  • Weight Ground it deluxe 1: 11,6kg
  • Weight Ground it deluxe 2: 8,5kg
  • Weight Ground it deluxe 3: 13,5kg

Assuming the same size, glass will be heavier. I’d say glass is the better bet.

A butcher’s block, one of those boards made of smaller blocks, is cheap to try and if they’ve given the deck rigid feet they’re trying to sink energy into the support, isolation alone may not be the best answer. Is there a feedback problem on its current shelf or are you looking to improve something that already works?

1 Like

I suspect that the optimum support will be different for different turntables, and that what works, say, for an LP12 might be different to what works under a Rega deck.
Many supports focus on a combination of low mass and high rigidity. I’m thinking back to Pink Triangle’s use of Aerolam, and the fact that most racks use composite materials and avoid the use of solid hardwood, especially oak.
I’m not familiar with Marantz turntables, but maybe a bit of experimentation with different supports would be worthwhile.

1 Like

Let me nuance that a bit. In an ideal world mass is best. If whatever you have under it isn’t rock solid, and well isolated itself, the damping feet of the project might actually be more help.