Isolation - this time it's speakers (and Gaias)

It is noticeable that those making the less courteous comments on PFM are often keen to ‘explain’ that they can’t work (from first principles), rather than saying that they don’t work (from having heard them). Those who do try them for free seem to keep them.

4 Likes

Sadly, in the potentially OCD world of hi-fi, the “I’m an expert, and I know whereof I speak” fraternity, can rarely resist rushing into print to tell us mere mortals that we’re getting it wrong … … … again. :man_shrugging:

So thank goodness most of us prefer to trust our own ears when it comes to parting with our cash.

10 Likes

Gaia 3s on my Solidsteel stands for my Tab 10S, had them on two different floorstanders before big benefit for me on suspended floor.

3 Likes

Had Gaia 3’s on previous Neat and PMC speakers, currently have Gaia 2’s on ATC40’s, big fan.

1 Like

I am thinking of getting another set for my stands in office just to get the extra height it’s a solid floor so not sure if I would get any extra benefit though.

1 Like

I noticed an improvement but I did find them fiddly and required regular tightening but yes I view them as worth while.

I have now sold mine and replaced with the Townshend Podiums and they are fantastic - pricey but I got mine second hand.

I did have a wonky floor with some floorboards and some concrete…… so the podiums really did make a game changing difference.

Gary

5 Likes

I would very much agree with your posted findings Gary. My Podiums were a total game changer for literally all aspects of the replay, faster/tighter and better resolved bass, better separation and sound stage etc. :+1:t3: This in my case on a perfectly smooth floor based on concrete rafters with inbuilt underfloor heating pipes (modern property) ATB Peter

2 Likes

Anyone tried them between speaker and stand rather than stand and floor?

Better? Worse? Same?

2 Likes

Curious on the views on carpet having just relocated system to lounge with a very thick carpet and underlay from the previous hardfloor location. Still using the Gaias with their own carpet spikes.
Of course I can refit my Sonus Faber spikes and decide for myself, but as ever previous experiences of some here is always valued.

My house is 100 years old so lots of room challenges!

1 Like

I have literally never heard them on carpet.

From the comments I could find, most people who said they had carpet liked Gaias (6 from 9). Of the 7 who did not like them, 3 had carpet and 2 blamed the thick carpet and spike issues as the likely problem. Only 4 of the 20-something people with a wood floor did not like the Gaias. Some people gave no clue about the floor.

Can anyone with really thick carpet who has tried with and without Gaias help?

2 Likes

When I recently moved my ProAc D30RS speakers from a room with wooden floors upstairs. The speakers were spiked and sat in Metal chips. The room downstairs had cement floors with a thin wall to wall carpet. The speakers lost some of their magic and were difficult to move/adjust.

I looked at Gaias II as a possible solution for my ProD30RS speakers. The cost locally was $ 659.98 for two sets of four. (Price was retail with sales tax.) I did read the reviews and saw them on a set on a pair of floor standing speakers at the dealer showroom.

What I did end up buying was 8 of Herbie’s Giant Titanium Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders The cost was $351.12 which included shipping.

A couple of reasons for choosing the Herbie products was ease of installation. I would keep the existing spikes on my speakers and replace the small metal cups with the gliders. I did not want to go through the process of installing the Gaias and then removing them if they did not meet expectations. You could say there was a age (70) factor in my decision process to try the Herbie’s product first. There was also the price consideration.

The speakers are now easy to move and their is an overall improvement in the sound, improved clarity, soundstage and bass. The best part was my wife has hearing loss and uses hearing aides and she was smiling and stating how much better the system was sounding.

As some folks have stated on the forum, I was gobsmacked!.

Value for money spent was outstanding and highly recommend.

Just thought I would mention an alternative to the Gaias.

5 Likes

Interesting. Thank you. Things are sounding so very nice with them I’m not minded to fiddle. Once I’ve got used to my 300DR perhaps I’ll compare.

1 Like

Hi Nick,
Does this link help:
Isolation thread

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

Interesting. I didn’t know they would work on Stands. I have some pucks between the my stands and speakers(D2R’s) but didn’t think about for the stands themselves. Current just have spikes.

Can you try again with the link or the name if the link itself is not permitted?

Googling those exact words didn’t help…

2 Likes

Hi Nick, can you try again now, looking for posts 2 and 3?

1 Like

A good dealer would let you try and home demo…. Prob the only way to know how they work with your set up.
Gary

1 Like

When clicking on this link it displays: " New Uniti AirPlay 2 Software release latest update"

If you use the search button and type in “Trying Isoacoustic Gaia speaker feet” it lists 25 threads to review. None with the title suggested.

1 Like

Helpful, thanks. I’ve edited and re-entered the link, so it will hopefully work now.

If not, search for a thread title called Isolation from 2019. Posts 2 and 3 are from Bluesfan, i.e. my relevant posts.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes