Isolation - this time it's speakers (and Gaias)

When I bought the Gaias I thought I was slightly crazy as they were nearly a third of the price of the speakers I was using at the time! I’m very glad I tried them as they had a very positive impact, I tried going back to spikes after a couple of weeks, that didn’t last long!

I can see how they might not work in some cases due to the speakers, room, floor etc … as always try before you buy is the only way to know.

2 Likes

Try It First is always a good plan, if practical.

I was quickly convinced that Gaias between B&W804 D3s and bouncy floorboards were a big help.

The holiday cottage has thin (local) wood directly on concrete and Neat Xplorers.

I’ll be taking a set of Gaias on our next trip. If they turn out to be of no use, I’ll probably be too late to return them but can easily sell them if they are of no help. However, even given the different floor, I don’t expect that result.

3 Likes

I missed your post. I have the Graham LS5/9 and share the same experience. The Gaia IIIs brought a huge improvement to the speakers. The difference is much larger than the Gaia II installed on my other pair of speakers, Marten Duke 2.

1 Like

Interesting I have exactly the same speakers and stands. but my floor is a thinnish carpet on concrete. Would the Gaia still make a significant difference, do you think?

1 Like

Possibly , but you will need the carpet discs under the Gaias.
Isoacoustic can provide these.

Thanks. I think I might give them a try. The spikes do increase the price somewhat but IsoAcoutics blurb does say they are not necessary for thin carpet (as mine is) so I may get away with it.

1 Like

The IsoAcoustic isolation footers are amazing. In my opinion, they make a significant difference.

My floors are also concrete; however, I have hardwood on the concrete, and I can’t believe the difference they make. They are definitely worth a demo.

2 Likes

You’ll almost certainly find they’ll perform best with the carpet spike cups, I tried mine recently with and without and my carpet isn’t super deep, they sounded noticeably more cohesive and with a wider soundstage once the spike cups were on.

I have 2 wooden floors on top off each other and the top floor could resonate at some frequencies. Installing audio physic VCF II magnetic plus M8 did resolve this partly and also the overall sound did improve significantly, more details for both bass and treble. I use dynaudio confidence 20 speakers.

Thank you to you and razzzor1963. I may use my ill gotten gains from selling my ATC speakers to invest. I am just nervous about visiting my local dealer in case of what else it might lead to…

2 Likes

They can probably lend you a set to try out, I’m sure you’ll end up keeping them though!

1 Like

Just as long as they don’t come attached to a full 500 system on demo. Gulp!

I was thinking stuck to the bottom of some nice speakers :laughing:
Seriously, the Gaia’s are one of those little items of pixie dust that shouldn’t do what they do but make quite a magical difference.

5 Likes

If you have Naim speakers that are supposed to be against the wall like SBL’s or SL2’s then Tonwshend Audio Podiums probably wouldn’t work as they wouldn’t allow you to position the speakers close enough to the wall.

I’m not sure that would necessarily be a problem. Naim’s official recommendation for SL2 and Allae, for example, was to position them between 10cm and 45cm out from the rear wall. That should give enough room for a Podium.

1 Like

Has anyone tried to put such a rubber mat for washing machines under their speakers?

My problem with the Gaias and others is the high price.

For my speakers for which I paid about 1200 euros, I can’t justify a price of about 500 euros for those little feets…My CEO said: no!

Am I the only one?

1 Like

You can look at post 18 above which also includes a picture of one of my speakers using Herbie’s Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders on my Proac D30RS speakers. A portion of what I wrote follows…

I looked at Gaias II as a possible solution for my ProD30RS speakers. The cost locally was $ 659.98 for two sets of four. (Price was retail with sales tax.) I did read the reviews and saw them on a set on a pair of floor standing speakers at the dealer showroom.

What I did end up buying was 8 of Herbie’s Giant Titanium Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders The cost was $351.12 which included shipping.

Herbies also have a 60 day return policy with a full refund if not satisfied.

1 Like

Hi seakayaker,
Did you buy the Giant Gliders from a dealer or direct from Herbies Audiolab? I have looked at these as a possible buy, but they have been out of stock with Herbies for a number of months now. Maybe, as your across the pond, so to speak, you have more information. :blush:

Initially I too was having difficulty in accepting the price but in the end went for it as the cheaper options look less aesthetically pleasing. For me, both looks and sound quality are equally important, and the Gaias look the part with its machined dark chrome finish which looks rather elegant.

My speakers cost £4,200 and £7,000 so it’s not too bad. I can understand the logic of not spending on the Gaias if the speakers don’t cost much, say around £1k. Nevertheless, the Gaias are not exactly overpriced to me. Apart from performance, the build quality is rather high. One can feel the solidity of the unit and it doesn’t feel like a cheap piece when you hold it in your hands. You are paying not only for sound but aesthetics and build quality.

3M Rubber domes, you can get a big sheet of them for very little.

1 Like