It’s blueberry season here

5 Likes

I have 4 blueberry bushes and the blackbirds are very grateful. I’m useless at remembering to protect them with netting. They eat the lot.

2 Likes

Its always… they just need a few more days to ripen…then the birds get there first. Oh well, its nature working i guess.

1 Like

And then they kindly drop blue poo everywhere.

1 Like

Been having fresh blueberries in natural Greek yoghurt for breakfast this past few weeks. Absolutely delicious!

G

I like a little Greek yogurt with my pie. I like the tanginess of the yogurt with the sweetness of the pie. Although as seen in that photo, we whipped up some whipped cream for that treat.

1 Like

We are lucky that the top half of our garden is uncultivated open ground, covered in a mixture of heather, birch, grass and bilberry (aka blueberry). I prefer the smaller, sharper flavoured wild berries, and it’s nice to be able to wander out into the garden and pick them.

There must be thousands of acres of the stuff growing on hillsides around the UK, and as far as I can tell, nobody bothers to eat them.

2 Likes

Aka whortleberry, I remember as a child a family day out each autumn, my grandmother transported beehives to Exmoor for the summer, so we fetched them back and spent what seemed like hours on our knees collecting the berries, depending on the crop, it was pie, then jam, then wine.

Your garden looks great.

Thanks, but if I’m honest, I can’t really take any credit for it myself, as that part of the garden gets no attention at all from us, apart from occasionally thinning out the birch trees that grow like weeds.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.