It'a good buy for the Unitilite

I was able to repair my UnitiLite with a square belt of 1.2 mm thick and 27 mm circular diameter. It has exactly the same size and thickness as the original one. The old belt had become stiff and lost its elasticity, and by that its grip.
@Richard.Dane: perhaps you can check if the factory is aware of this information. It is perhaps also good to send it to the distributors and dealers. It looks like more units have this issue and it is so easily repaired.

1 Like

Thanks Blueteles. I can point @NeilS to this very thread.

Hi Guys,

We have experimented in the past with belt replacement, but it didn’t prove 100% reliable in every case, so it was decided a safer course of action to replace the entire loader/transport assembly.
So YMMV !!

Regards
Neil.

Mind you mine hade to go back recently because it also needed a new screen. At least it’ll come back bright and beautiful. Shame is that I’ve now replaced it with an Atom in the snug. I may hold onto it rather that donate it to a certain auction site. It’s been a great machine though and will no doubt still sound wonderful when it comes back from sunny Salisbury.

Blueteles that dimension of 27mm is that internal or external diameter.

I’m sure you’ll get something from Homebase!

“Hi Guys,
We have experimented in the past with belt replacement, but it didn’t prove 100% reliable in every case, so it was decided a safer course of action to replace the entire loader/transport assembly.
So YMMV !!
Regards
Neil.”

I have searched the feedback of many Unitilite’s owners. Most of the Unitilite had the CD door jam unit after a short period time of use. I believe most of them just need to replace the driver belt while a few of might need to replace the entire loader/transport assembly. My point is why Naim didn’t instruct the Unitilite’s owners to just try to replace the belt with the belt’s spec. I also believe that this is a flaw design. First, in most cassette tape players, CD players, and VHS video player, the belts only need to be replaced after heavy use or for aging reason. You can hear the sound of the unloaded transport assembly while the CD is ejecting. The strong mechanical motion put a tremendous pressure on the belt that causes the belt’s elastic property last sooner than a normal time.

Naim is a company that designs and manufactures very high-end products. Even the entry level Unitilite cost $4000 when new. The CD door of my unit failed to open just only after 14 months of light use while by Nakamichi Dragon’s belt set is still working since 1982. I heard that in UK, replacing the assembly costs 600 GBP. My point is that this is a flaw design and thus Naim’s liability to replace it without cost or at least a reasonable cost.

The similar issue happened to the Focal Electra Be speaker line. Since the tweeter is covered by a cheap magnet screen, there have been countless of broken tweeters that made the owners really upset. Worse than that is replacing such one cracked beryllium tweeter would cost $800. For later models than the Electra Be line, focal has redesigned with a permanently screwed in screen cover. However, they wouldn’t agree to lower the tweeter price for those unlucky and unhappy owners including me.

1 Like

I remember hearing a uniLite into neat speakers at an event in Dublin a few years ago now and although it was the least expensive system to me it was the most impressive.

I’m glad that owners now may have a way to keep these excellent machines fully alive and kudos to @Richard.Dane for allowing this thread flourish.

.sjb

2 Likes

@Sloop_John_B, For people who haven’t had a chance to listen to the Unitilite, they can’t imagine how superb this unit is. I have been listening my computer sound via a DAC, Unitilite, the Focal Dome and the Focal Electra 1008 Be. During 3 days while the Unitilite was sitting in the repair shop, I used an A brand amplifier for temporary replacement and, you only appreciate the clarity of the Unitlite when comparing with the the other unit.

1 Like

This is another case that the price drops significantly because of the CD door jam and high factory repair cost.

Steve S: thank you for your quick reply! So it is not as easy as I thought. Well, I will see how long my fix will work :-).
@Col: I don’t know if this is measured inside or outside. It was listed on the website as 27 mm as was on the package.

Hi Blueteles
Thanks for reply.
Have found sites where they are 27mm but some are outside size and others are inside size
Can you say where you purchased it.

I purchased it from a Dutch site Fixpart.

No sales links please. Thanks.

I have purchsed two belts one at 28/30mm inner/outer diameter. Didn’t solve issue.

Then a second at 25mm outer diameter…too small to fit.

I’ve now gone for a set from you know where for £3.25 for 30.

I suspect the 26/27mm will be the one to go for.

@porkyg If your CD player has been sitting unused for a long time, you should open the cover to lubricate the CD loader/transport assembly and use the 28/30 belt.

1 Like

Sorry Richard, my inexperience.

Thanks for your help Blueteles but I don’t speak Dutch so cannot get anywhere on the site

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.