'It'll see me out'

Oh dear… I’ve realised I’ve started using this phrase. Looks like I’ve reached a ‘certain age’ :frowning:

4 Likes

Cultural lesson requested from a non UK-ian.

2 Likes

It means it will outlive the quoter.

2 Likes

Understanding is probably not helped be the deliberate(?) misspelling of ‘out’.

1 Like

Yes… sorry :wink:

1 Like

That is what I thought and then I thought I would google the phrase and got this and then I was totally confused :smile::

What Does OWT Mean?

OWT means “Anything.”

OWT is a slang word most commonly used in parts of England to mean “Anything.” For example:

• Toni: Do you know OWT about what’s happening this weekend?

• Jo: No, nothing.

• Lee: What beer do you want?

• Sam: Get me OWT that’s stronger than what you bought last week.

“Anything” is also abbreviated as NEFIN.

The opposite of OWT is [NOWT (“Nothing”)]

1 Like

It tends to be a “north country” thing

3 Likes

In plain speak… ‘I’ll die before this dies’

1 Like

I’m not sure this thread will go on that long (unlike some others) ::grinning:

No, you are not confused. The definitions for ‘Owt’ you found are correct. Its Northern English slang.

IMO - the OP is incorrect. Should be -

“It’ll see me out.”

YMMV, always… interwwbzz…

2 Likes

I’m not a ‘norvener’, that’s my excuse :wink:

There… fixed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Recently reading a book by Derek Jarman - he was going to buy a pair of shoes then thought the ones he had were perfectly alright and “they will see me out”.

And they did.

4 Likes

There are some advantages, any new Naim gear you buy now you probably won’t need to get serviced. :grinning:

3 Likes

I first heard it from my father (Irish, rural, born in the 1930s) a few years before he died. He was definitely using it in the literal sense described above. He was admirably pragmatic about his approaching end, to the extent that he spent a few mornings during his last summer on earth checking out funeral parlours.

I’ve found myself using it in recent years, not in any morbid sense, but more to describe things that I don’t foresee ever needing or wanting to replace. Barring major disasters, I expect my LP12 and my 552 will see me out.

1 Like

I’m not alone, then ! After a lifetime of admiration of Naim kit, and not being able to afford it, I jumped in a few years ago and bought the NAC282/NAPSC2/Hi Cap/NAP250DR amplifier combo. I later added an NDX2 and heard myself saying to myself, that’ll see me out !
To be honest, allowing for other items in my system giving up the ghost, it probably will.

3 Likes

The consolation is that being over the hill means you can free wheel for the next bit.

3 Likes

…unless you hit the slough of despond!

Unless you upgrade first😀

1 Like

Bit hard on Slough, is it not?

OTOH, perhaps not…… :laughing:

Probably as a result of the friendly bombs. :roll_eyes:

1 Like