It's rapidy coming that you have to have a smartphone to even exist!

Odd, certainly wasn’t required when I had the Naim app.

Another story along the same lines…

My credit card, like nearly all cards nowadays, has gone to this system of texting you a pin for an online purchase… Okay this is feasible of even the most basic phone BUT only if you have reception. There is VERY limited reception where I live. Tried to order some light switches on line earlier in the week. It was chucking it down (rain) so my usual trick of waving the phone out of the upstairs bedroom window to get a signal and receive the text didn’t work. So I had to do it online using a bank transfer. Luckily I know the supplier (repeat business) so I didn’t worry about the credit card buyer security. So to do this online… get special logging in gadget with PIN to get to the banks sight. Then use same gadget to create the payee - this involved entering three different check numbers. Then do the payment - three more check numbers. It took about in all about an hour to simply buy some light switches; 15 mins was wasted trying to get a mobile signal.
So I’ve kind of got used to the idea

Sounds like a smartphone with wifi calling would be a good investment :grin:

6 Likes

It is depressing I admit. But it has upsides.

For me, going off grid occasionally is a huge draw. And I fantasise (unrealistically I am sure) about retiring off grid in a log cabin. These day, all you have to do to be a ghost is leave the house without a phone of any kind and head out to the countryside where there are no CCTV cameras and you are gone.

@anon4489532 What’s wrong with Yorkshire?! Some of us spent our formative years there picking up the accent. The best accent in the world I might add :grinning:

Not really… I’m thinking living off the land is some wilderness area… saying that such areas are rapidly disappearing :frowning:

Nothing at all wrong with Yorkshire - a delightful county, with some of the best scenery, ale, food & culture found anywhere. It’s the unfortunate habit many of its denizens have of constantly reminding the rest of us mere mortals that grates so much!

1 Like

Is that why Sean Bean dies in everything. People taking their jealous revenge?

BTW, I’m not from Yorkshire, I just spent my last formative years there. I’m from north Oxfordshire.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with Yorkshire? Nothing at all, it was just a joke because jan asked the OP if they lived in a country with a national identity scheme. I looked in their profile and noticed they live in Yorkshire… I love the place and might even move there if it wasn’t so bloomin’ cold compared with where we are.

I don’t mind moves to effect SCA (Strong Customer Authentication as some appear to be calling it) via text codes, as this is relatively easy to manage for many but not all - and let’s be clear, some people still don’t have moby’s (some elderly people I know - or if they do, they don’t keep them charged up) and moby network coverage is still heavily wanting in many parts, even in areas of high density (e.g. parts of Sussex).

The issue for me comes when it’s dictated that you need to follow the path of the service supplier and there are no alternatives offered, or if they are, and I think here of the need for pixelated codes via moby (whatever the proper name is), if you don’t have a smartphone, then you get sent a reader, this often having tiny buttons and a very small screen, often with only something like 45 seconds to validate or transaction progress is defaulted.

To say some of the validation protocols now being rolled out aren’t inclusive is an understatement IMV, especially where the elderly are concerned, the irony being that for many on-line deposit takers, this area is likely to be one of their prime markets.

Of course, often there are no telephone contingencies built in.

1 Like

You have to set up an account with the Google Play Store to download apps to an Android phone and you have to set up an account with the Apple AppStore to download apps if it’s an iPhone. This is totally normal and not a problem.

Best

David

It’s been a pain here in France, French bank account had my UK mobile number and they can’t use it for texting the pin. I have a French mobile but they cant accept the change of number via email or phoning. I had to go 15 miles to the branch with documented proof of identity to change the mobile number registered to my account.
Everything worked on the mobile for the last few months. Yesterday I wanted to check something on the account. Phone app didn’t connect but kindly informed they has sent the pin to ----

my old UK phone number.

Fortunately I can still connect via the ipad ( for how long who knows)

btw there are several sites where you can download the relevant NAIM apk.

I’m just saying…

Reminds me of my late Antie’s quote back in the early 70s, when she asked in all seriousness why they don’t wait for the old people to die before introducing this new decimal currency. :slight_smile:

Whatever process is used to increase security there will be edge cases that don’t quite fit, but it seems to me if you want to implement a secure secondary authentication process the most obvious choice is to use a mobile phone. They are ubiquitous; relatively few people don’t use them, and a card reader is a viable alternative for those that don’t.

Not using a phone as secondary authentication would be barmy, if the alternative is to issue a card reader or a beeper of some kind to everyone and then expect each user to always have it available at any time. I often found a need to do some internet banking when in the office; doing it via the phone means there’s a 99% chance I have the device with me whereas always carrying another device just in case is unlikely to say the least.

It’s become an issue because of how society has evolved. In reality, it’s bad luck that some people have opted not to join in, but it’s their own choice. Bad / no signal? Get a wifi booster. There are two in this house, problem solved.

Or something that claims to be the Naim APK…

I would suspect it’s likely to be safe (small audience so not attractive as a target) but downloading apps off-app store removes all of the protections that Google/Apple have built against hackers modifying apps to include malware/spyware/whatever.

Since I use my phone to do bits of banking and other financial activities there’s no way I’d install apps from anywhere apart from a mobile phone manufacturer or OS vendor app store.

3 Likes

Perhaps in the UK we could use our NI number or NHS number to prove who we are in lieu of the personal identity number you have in Sweden, but civil liberty organisations in the UK might not support ID numbers/cards.

Never having heard that term I assume it is VOIP on smartphone, but different from, say, Apple’s ”facetime” internet video phone or Skype and different from Whatsapp. I’ll have to look into…

My bank sends me the pin via BT landline

1 Like

Most recent Android and all iPhones support using WiFi as the carrier for voice calls (instead of cellular); called VoWiFi by the industry or ‘WiFi Calling’ by Apple. The call data is delivered to the network operator over the internet rather than via their own radio network, they then switch it through to whoever as normal.

As a customer you don’t really notice the difference between a call delivered to you over WiFi rather than a call delivered over the mobile network operator’s radio network.

Useful to sort out in-building coverage issues. A little problematic in some countries where the regulator wants the MNO to be able to identify approximate location for emergency calls (I think some countries refuse to allow emergency calls delivered using ‘VoWiFi’ for this reason).

Thanks - however from what I can see it appears it must be phone service provider dependent - and one that popped up in my Googling, EE which I use when travelling only supports it on monthly contracts not PAYG type.

My iPhone supposedly supports it but the instructions I found online doesn’t reveal the option on mine, so I guess it is my phone seevice provider doen’t offer it