Jazz Music Thread

It’s this one
DaveBrubeckQuartetAtCarnegieHall

6 Likes

Incidentally my first love musically is Jamaican music.
This tune from the late sixties by Jamaican Saxophonist Val Bennett was my first introduction to Brubeck before I’d ever heard of him.
The Russians Are Coming, I think it will sound familiar…

1 Like

You’ll laugh - I haven’t got around yet to even opening the S&G!

I love What’s Going On, but I was put off by the splitting across four sides with the Mofi One-Step. Instead I bought the deluxe half speed Abbey Road vinyl reissue and it’s OK, although I think you may be right that the tapes have deteriorated. The highlight of the Abbey Road set is the inclusion of the Detroit mix of the album, and that’s really excellent, and still sounding fresh and alive.

1 Like

Loving it!

1 Like

Those Abbey Rd half speed masters are a bit controversial, the Marmite equivalent love it or hate it. He gets quite a bit of stick over on another forum.
I think he upsets the purists because he works from digital files.
Hats off to Miles Showell though he’s passionately ploughing that furrow and sticking to his guns. Must drive him loopy monitoring all those tapes at half speed!

I got his half speed master of John Martyn Solid Air sounds fine to me. Might have to check out his What’s Going On

If you love it have a look at this, includes the Val Bennett and other lovely stuff from the period. I recommend the CD in book format, I think theres also a vinyl set

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I think there’s a big difference between cutting from 24/96, 24/192, or DSD copy masters in the studio compared with cutting from a CD rip or even an MP3 as seems to be the way with some of the dodgier outfits. With the latter, any attempt at making a high quality product is just not on the cards, whereas with the former, it’s possible to make something that sounds really fabulous. As ever, there’s much more to it than just any digital in the chain=bad but all-analogue=good.

1 Like

Yes we have this one. Andrea appears on another Trio/Cleyndert cd.
This one with Harry Allen. Contains a show stopping bass solo image by Simon Woolf.
N

2 Likes

I agree.
Over on another well known forum the host stated that not to master all analogue “lacks credibility” but couldnt or wouldnt answer when asked what exactly that statement was supposed to mean.

I do like to have pre digital music mastered AAA where the original tapes are in suitable condition, I think it’s more transparent to the source and brings you closer, but I’m not an analogue or bust fundamentalist. I do actually find it quite amusing when some obsess about it, raving about the latest re issue of X, then have to ask if its sourced digitally or AAA, if one cant actually tell from listening and it sounds great then does it really matter? As long as original masters are being preserved as a reference, I dont think it does.
Yes, mastering vinyl records from CD or low res files is criminal in my view, theres increasingly more of it about as earlier music becomes out of copyright and into public domain allowing dodgy labels to cash in.

She deserves some attention

3 Likes

5 Likes

As ever pushing British Jazz… .

Her new album.
I have followed the career of this young woman since her firstMelody Express album.She is her very,very own stylist but if you like Paul Desmond give a listen to the samples on Quobuz.
N

2 Likes

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

37: Wes Montgomery: The Incredible Jazz Guitar Of Wes Montgomery (Riverside)
Though inspired by the fretboard virtuosity of his idol, Charlie Christian, Wes Montgomery forged a unique and immediately identifiable style. The Incredible Jazz Guitar Of… was his third album but the one that truly put the Indianapolis guitarist on the jazz map. Montgomery’s sidemen (pianist Tommy Flanagan, Modern Jazz Quartet bassist Percy Heath, and his brother, drummer Albert Montgomery) offer sterling support on a varied selection of original tunes (‘Four On Six’, ‘West Coast Blues’ and ‘Mr Walker’), covers (Sonny Rollins’ ‘Airegin’ and Dave Brubeck’s ‘In Your Own Sweet Way’) and standards (‘Polka Dots And Moonbeams’). Using his callused thumb as a pick, Montgomery plays single-note melodies with horn-like phrasing, before embellishing his solos with a sequence of block chords followed by octaves.

Key song: ‘Four On Six’

Enjoy

Dave

13 Likes

Hey @PatM, agree with you. Super nice album. There is something special with the “athmosphere” that I really like
Iver

1 Like

Hi @BertBirddidn’t know and tried the album Richard Rodgers Songbook. Very impressive ! Thanks for the suggestion. Iver

1 Like

Interesting, wonder if its a regional thing. Here in Germany always a box inside a box with good packaging.

Nice one, Tidal doesn’t have that one only “I wished on the moon”

Just been listening to this.
A bit LoFi but a worthwhile hour for anyone interested in the current young British Jazz movement.
And hats off to Gary Crosby and The Tomorrows Warriors…

https://worldwidefm.net/show/we-out-here-charity-spotlight-tomorrows-warriors/?utm_source=Tomorrow's+Warriors+News&utm_campaign=ed27d2bce4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_NOV2019_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f118f4b2bc-ed27d2bce4-369213637

I know I harp on a bit but … I used to visit the Jazz Warriors performances when they were the JW.
Many stars… young Dennis Rollins the trombone player still in short trousers,well figuratively .
Orphee,Mark Mondaiseer and my dear mate Gail Thompson who took over control after she couldn’t hold the embochure on her saxophone.
First Lady to play with Art Blakey and poo happened.

‘’ catch me if you can…I’m going back’’. James Taylor.
N

1 Like

Have you heard her album with Chris Biscoe called Then and Now? The band is called Two of a Mind.ThenNow250