Jazz Music Thread

I bought this recently after seeing Sarathy Korwar play the title track on the Jazz 625 programme about new British jazz. The vinyl reissue is available directly from Vocalion at a very reasonable price and sounds excellent.

2 Likes

I am honestly amazed! Thank you so much for that recommendation. It is sounding wonderfully …

1 Like

https://youtu.be/-_qUnJvHpZg

https://youtu.be/9mqCYAFIfpI

1 Like

:+1::+1::+1::+1:
We are on the same vision here

2 Likes

Thomas Grimmonprez trio

1 Like

Excellent

1 Like

Lonnie Smith is a must. I have quite all his albums.

1 Like

Timeless

1 Like

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

Out To Lunch

16: Eric Dolphy: Out To Lunch! (Blue Note)
A prodigiously gifted multi-reed player who excelled on alto saxophone and bass clarinet, Los Angeles-born Eric Dolphy was also a virtuoso flute player. He first made his mark in 1958 when he joined drummer Chico Hamilton’s band, and later, in the early 60s, when he became a leading light of the avant-garde movement, he played with Charles Mingus and John Coltrane. Recorded in February 1964, Out To Lunch! was Dolphy’s debut for Blue Note and came on the back of several LPs for Prestige’s New Jazz imprint. Joining Dolphy on the Out To Lunch! session are Freddie Hubbard, Bobby Hutcherson, Richard Davis and an 18-year-old Tony Williams on drums. The music is intrepid in its exploration of new sonic worlds and, despite its eerie dissonances, there’s a prevailing sense of swing which gives the music cohesion. Sadly, Dolphy died, aged 36, of a diabetes-associated coma four months after recording one of the best jazz albums of the free jazz era.

Key song: ‘Hat And Beard’

Enjoy

Dave

13 Likes

1 Like

1 Like
1 Like

Cheers Clive, yes I have seen the programme. I also recommend the Tomorrows Warriors, EFG London Jazz Festival (particularly the Church Of Sound Sessions) and Jazz Re:freshed YouTube channels.
Havent seen that article though, thanks for posting
:heart:

1 Like

Greetings Colormind,
My best recommendation would be to get the We Out Here album, great intro to the contemporary young British Jazz scene.

This is no way exhaustive it’s a very broad and diverse scene but a few of my favourites that immediately spring to mind and just scrape the tip of a massive musical iceberg - Camilla George, Sarathy Korwar, Maisha Sons Of Kemet( who’s first two albums are on the Naim label), Binker & Moses, Theon Cross, Comet Is Coming, Shabaka Hutchings, Nubya Garcia, Matthew Halsall, Zara McFarlane, Kokoroko.

4 Likes

Thank you very much, @Dreadatthecontrols. I will add that to tonight’s playlist.

Cheers
colormind.

1 Like