Jazz Music Thread

Albert and I invited Sonny Criss to dinner tonight. I have a few of his cds but they are locked away at the moment.
What a splendid,unappreciated saxophone player he was.
I always think he took Charlie Parker and Benny Carter as his principal influences,joined them together with his own genius and made a very special stylist.
Thanks for the reminder.
N

6 Likes

Hi Nick - is that Bill Crow the From Birdland to Broadway author? A must for any jazz fan.

Been burning in a Qutest DAC so playing lots of Tidal jazz compilations (including an 18 hour one!) only checking in occasionally to assess progress.

This caught my ear - Palle Mikkelborg - not my usual thing but a delightful listen. Recorded live with great interplay between the musicians and unusual trumpet - guitar - bass - percussion instrumentation.

1 Like

I am mostly digital too but for cover art nothing beats those old Blue Note LP’s.[quote=“Dreadatthecontrols, post:2657, topic:2050, full:true”]
I know your preference is for Digital Audio but I think that version of the Matador sleeve is only on the Music Matters LP which is excellent.
The regular sleeve, please correct me if I’m wrong is this one

[/quote]

7 Likes

Yes that’s the man. He also wrote Jazz Anecdotes along similar lines.
Another book worth searching for is Gene Lees… Meet me at Jim and Andy’s.

Any threadster who doesn’t know;these are not learned volumes. Just full of gossip and scandal about jazz life in the mostly 50s and 60s.
All three are fabulous reads if you enjoy learning about the jazz life and environment.
N

2 Likes

1 Like

I recall a long time ago reading a book by George Melley about his life. Some pretty hilarious and salacious stuff IIRC. :joy:

1 Like

A wonderful album and also perhaps one of the best sounding recordings ever made; Roy DuNann really got this one bang on. If you spin vinyl, look out for the UK Boplicity reissue from the early '80s. Apparently, it was a favourite Naim demo LP. It’ll be £10-15 very well spent (then buy all the others in the series).

An interesting piece on Roy DuNann by Thomas Conrad can be read here;

The Search for Roy DuNann

1 Like

I have an early Analogue Productions LP, would the Boplicity be better still?

I don’t know, as I don’t have the AP - would love to hear it one day. But I can say that the Boplicity is one of the best sounding LPs I own, and it’s relatively cheap to buy secondhand, as Boplicity tends to slip under the radar. Immaculate pressing quality too on all the Boplicitys I own.

It’s so good I’m not jonesing for the AP, but, for all that, I think that if AP reissued their 45rpm 2 LP set, then I’d still be in there like a shot…

1 Like

Mine is this one. Mastered by Doug Sax. It says numbered limited edition 5153 (which doesnt seem particularly limited)

2 Likes

@Richard.Dane
You mentioned Roy DuNann, someone I know nothing about, so I’ve been browsing Discogs Boplicity and the section on Roy DuNann.
I found that I have this Shelley Manne OJC LP (I guess I will probably have others) with his credit
R-2071419-1326321041.jpeg

2 Likes

Excellent album!

1 Like

Just looking at the sleeve and I notice Art Pepper plays on 3 tracks

I’m afraid its all streaming for me these days but thanks to your reference I discovered one of my favourite Sonny Rollins albums is a Roy DuNann recording:

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

The timeless Way out West established Sonny Rollins as jazz’s top tenor saxophonist (at least until John Coltrane surpassed him the following year). Joined by bassist Ray Brown and drummer Shelly Manne, Rollins is heard at one of his peaks on such pieces as “I’m an Old Cowhand (From the Rio Grande),” his own “Way out West,” “There Is No Greater Love,” and “Come, Gone” (a fast stomp based on “After You’ve Gone”). The William Claxton photo of Rollins wearing Western gear (and holding his tenor) in the desert is also a classic. [The Contemporary re-release appends three bonus tracks, all of them alternate takes.]

Dave

7 Likes

Looking on Discogs he started with Capitol then was hired by the Contemporary label.
The Search for Roy DuNann article Richard mentioned references Way Out West

1 Like

Having just read the article, it beggars belief that this guy who was obviously so important in the development of recorded sound could be allowed to fade away into obscurity. Very sad that his hearing no longer allows him to hear his achievements.
Thanks @Richard.Dane for highlighting Roy DuNann
:heart:

1 Like

Yesterday I watched the movie Whiplash.
The experience made me dust off some records-

4 Likes

Wot! No Elvin Jones!
:grin:

or Art Blakey, Roy Haynes, Paul Motian, Brian Blade,…

The list goes on. :grinning:

Dave

1 Like