Jazz Music Thread

I have only the original lp . But have never so far heard an HD digital album from the 70’s that sounds better than the original lp.
I have all the Hancocks between 1971 ( Crossings…) to 1977 ( VSOP live ) and that one from 1978.
Never tired to listen to them.

This one I have on hi res and sounds heaps better (and more funky). Have that on LP as well? Must be good!!

4 Likes

Chick Corea - Solo Piano: portraits

4 Likes

Wonderful! I bought the 200 gr Analogue Productions recently, which beats the original one.
Secrets, Man Child, Trust, are superb too. Man Child and Secrets are my favourite.

Indeed, great stuff going well with this-

1 Like

That one is cool too

1 Like

Jasmine LP reissue of this 1965 Hawk outing on Impulse
R-2404711-1282150830.jpeg

3 Likes

Can anyone recommend which good jazz book with illustrations to keep in the armchair to read and keep company during a jazz listening session?

Uncompromising Expressions for Blue Notes
Verve for Norman Granz Jazz at the Phil. Oscar Peterson etc.
If these are too specific let us know. There are several illustrated jazz from then till now books about.
Problem is they all seem to be expensive unless you purchase soon as published.image image

N

1 Like

This is a book of Blue Note Records…

If you have a look at Amazon uk for the book it has reproductions of several pages.

I would like to recommend fluxfm jazzradio schwarzenstein to you. It is a adfree radio station, music only, strictly jazz.

http://streams.fluxfm.de/jazzschwarz/mp3-320/audio/

All embracing. Not technical.image image

Search around Abebooks etc for cheap copies.
N

1 Like

Blue Note Cover art? Just an interesting browse without being to distracting from the music your listening too

:heart:

4 Likes

Not a BlueNote cover but one of their top earners out side Dobells Record shop in Charing Cross Road.

???
The poet Horace offered a Silver coin to those who guessed correctly.

A window full of original goodies.

N

1 Like

Great pic, thanks
:heart:

Photographer Herman Leonard has produced some of the most iconic images in the history of jazz but I think most of his books are out of print and command high prices on the second hand market.

9ba26b7135bfeb5d812adefbcea4b974

9780670827718-uk

If you like Miles Davis there’s We Want Miles but again it may be out of print but worth seeking out.

51evkKem0fL.SX405_BO1,204,203,200

Dave

4 Likes

One if not the only real things I miss when listening to streaming vs cd’s…the cd reading material in your hands

Or the sleeve notes and artwork on an LP cover, especially when yer peepers ain’t what they used to be! :grin:

Take a look at the brilliant books about Reid Miles. The big River should have them.

1 Like