Jazz Music Thread

Cheers Kevster, I’m aware of the Acoustic Sounds Series, I’ve cherry picked a few so far, Trane, Nina Simone, Sarah Vaughan but didnt know they were going to do some Impulse titles, there could be a few there to wet my whistle.
Thanks for the nod will check it out :+1:
:heart:

1 Like

@TheKevster
As an addendum to the above, if I’ve understood correctly, Impulse/UME are going to do a 60th anniversary issue campaign whilst at the same time Acoustic Sounds will be re issuing some titles as part of their current series.
Have to wait and see what the Impulse/UME issues are like. Hopefully they will take inspiration from the Tone Poet/Acoustic Sounds/BN80 etc issues and do it properly. Fingers crossed

Impulse! Records Celebrates 60 Years With Year-Long Campaign | Analog Planet

1 Like

Let’s hope that Ptah, the El Daoud is amongst them.

2 Likes

Yes an essential purchase. In fact just buy every you can get your hands on by him.

1 Like

Sorry to interject, what is

I’m forgetting that Ballads and ALS are of course Impulse label. Doh!

Didn’t Herb Alpert do a version as well in his disco phase ? Wonder what Rodrigo would have made of that ?

2 Likes

Hi Dread - Alice Coltrane classic long unavailable. Insanely expensive used and only some dodgy no-label reissues ( Russian Federation taken from a stretched cassette tape - you get the picture)

1 Like

Roger that! Not heard of it before, so Ptah,the El Daoud is the title of the album?

@JimDog … your post intrigued me so thought to give it a shot and listen to Japan Suite of Paul Bley. I have to agree with you: album doesn’t have any structure or anything. Not really me style ir preference :slight_smile: even though I like the other Paul Bley albums
Iver

1 Like

Yes, a wonderful album. I had it on cd before, but didn’t know it costs so much. I just checked, prices go to 850 dollars on Discogs. And the best media condition is VG+.

I’ve been working my way through the ‘ignored and injured’ Bley albums this week.

These 2 were also nasty (except the track Axis):

But it’s my duty to listen to all his work all the way through!

1 Like

…but this one taps into depths of emotion:

(Everything sounds sweet tonight since I put a Chord Shawline 5 pin to 5 pin din in betwixt nDAC and 252).

2 Likes

@JimDog I know « Alone Again » and like it as well
Doing similar as you and currently plaing a lot of Zoot Sims. What a fantastic performer. Highly recommended
Glad your system runs well with the new cable :slight_smile:
Enjoy, Iver !

1 Like

Just watching this, fantastic film. Loving the Buddy Rich references, he was my Uncles favourite Drummer and Jazz musician period, his music played at my Uncles funeral, amazing!

2 Likes

So the movie is good ?

1 Like

Ok, thanks, Andy - I will pursue this. It must have been in the mid-70s when I saw him in performance. It’s taken me a long time to get something he recorded!

1 Like

All I can say is just watch it, really!

1 Like

Another film I watched recently worth a look is Sylvies Love. Its lightweight romantic froth but the setting makes it worthwhile. Budding Jazz Saxophonist meets Sylvie working in her father’s Jazz record shop in 1950’s Harlem when he goes in to buy Thelonious Monk’s Brilliant Corners LP.
I watched it with Mrs Dread who thoroughly enjoyed it, although I was distracted a lot of the time trainspotting the record sleeves and posters in the shop, with Mrs Dread regularly exclaiming “you’ve got that one!” And other nice little touches like the poster outside Carnegie Hall iirc for Nancy Wilson & Cannonball Adderley.
Good fun

3 Likes

I finally managed to track down a second hand copy of this and now ripped to NAS. So glad I got it. The fusion of Indian, Miles Davis and Jazz Rock is wonderful

4 Likes