Jazz Music Thread

The Bob Moog Foundation!?!

Dave

1 Like

Ah ok, now yes👍

1 Like

Listening now to this new album, through iTunes. Seems very promising.
Lee Pardini graduated in 2007 from the Manhattan School of Music with a Bachelors Degree in Jazz Piano. Shortly after moving to Los Angeles, CA from San Jose, CA, he joined the rock band Dawes in 2016. Together, they have traveled the world and recorded 3 studio albums, most recently ‘Good Luck With Whatever’ produced by Dave Cobb and set to be released on Rounder Records. Pardini has also toured, performed, and recorded with a variety of musical luminaries; most notably Roger Waters, Phil Lesh, Cass McCombs, Jonathan Wilson, Aimee Mann, Elvis Costello, the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Jason Isbell, Paul Bryan, Theo Katzman and Jeff Parker.

On February 12, 2021, Pardini is slated to release his debut jazz album entitled ‘Homebodies’ via GroundUP Music (founded by Snarky Puppy bassist and bandleader Michael League). The album showcases Pardini’s original compositions and marries together a soft spot for solid, tightly arranged grooves with the spontaneity of an improvisational band. ‘Homebodies’ features fellow Dawes bandmate Griffin Goldsmith on drums, along with Paul Bryan on bass, Jeff Parker on guitar, Rich Hinman on pedal steel and electric guitar, Josh Johnson on alto sax and Davey Chegwidden on percussion.

1 Like

A fantastic (!) live recording if you’d love some guitar-jazz
Iver

4 Likes

Hi @Hermann ; thanks for recommending Yuko Mabuchi. Another « jewell » added to my favourites-list. Very nice album and a great performance !
Iver

2 Likes

Well indeed. Very good recording and press quality.

From JPC:

Yuko chose several Miles Davis favorites for this concert and recording, including Nardis, So What, and Blue & Green. With the assistance of Steven A. Block, Raulee Marcus and Leslie Lassiter, Yarlung commissioned Missing Miles, which Yuko created in honor of Miles himself. Missing Miles closed the concert and we end it on this album. Ann Mulally signed Ikumi’s Lullaby, an original composition by Yuko. Ikumi’s Lullaby opened our concert, but it is the fourth track on this CD.

Yeah you should visit her Insta… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Extraordinary jazz singer with a beautiful voice. Worth to explore more.

1 Like

Bought 3 great jazz rock albums. 1973/1974. On lp, Discogs.

image image

2 Likes

Thanks, Iver. You’ve reminded me that I spotted that on the Qobuz releases email this week. I really must check it out!

1 Like

Closer to it is so awesome. That A Love Supreme bass line in Whenever you’re ready is hypnotizing!

1 Like

Come back with me to 1960 with Bob smearing and slipping his way through a fine selection aided by the admirable Jimmy Rowles or Jim Hall .
Trombone players often seem to have a wonderful sense of humour. I am sure he learnt a lot from Vic Dickinson and Dicky Wells. :flushed::flushed:
We shall need a Tardis to go that FAR back though.image
On Qobuz but sounds better to me on my jazzed up CD player.
N

2 Likes

20210220_132647

When jazz bass virtuoso Paul Chambers recorded Bass On Top , his third and final album as a leader for Blue Note, he was only 22 years old but already well established as one of the top bassists in jazz. This brilliantly seductive album features stalwarts Hank Jones on piano, Kenny Burrell on guitar, and Art Taylor on drums. Highlights include the chamber-jazz interpretation of Jerome Kern’s “Yesterdays” and a lightly swinging version of “Dear Old Stockholm,” a tune often associated with Miles Davis who was Chambers’ employer at the time.
:heart:

5 Likes

How does it compare with “Whims of Chambers”? That’s the one I have.

I spent some hours researching on YouTube that night some fusion from 70’s, and discovered these. I agree, very hypnotising :+1:

1 Like

Now I am wondering: any other cool findings after this research? :sunglasses:

Next time…

Haha, like a street corner dealer. Let’s see what I can dig up myself in the meantime :wink:

1 Like

Good idea. Your turn now :grin:

1 Like

Not on Tidal, private collection, a lot of Jimbo. One of my favorites:

https://youtu.be/ZCq2q94HSEs

1 Like

Nice bass solo !