Jazz Music Thread

Will take a listen. If not only for “Snorre” and that moustache.

1 Like

Very similar to the previous one: stunning. Very well recorded as well
Iver

3 Likes

Just ordered that album on lp. 2018 album but sounds a bit like 70’s, apart some rap voice singing sometimes. Delightful.

Have it (Suzuki-Cat) on order too, as a side order for another album, it wasn’t expensive and nice to have. But having read that the label is known for their bootlegs. Needle drops and digital sources are used. How is the quality?

Not received it yet…will say you.

1 Like

This evening’s playlist
The Jane Monheit album is her latest and I believe it is her very best one
Iver

The album of Kjetil is also great, a different type of solo piano album.

1 Like

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

31: Sarah Vaughan: Sarah Vaughan (With Clifford Brown) (EmArcy)
Considered a member of the Holy Trinity of female jazz singers – along with Ella
Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday – “Sassy” Sarah Vaughan entered the studio with rising
trumpet god Clifford Brown to record this album, which many jazz critics believe to be
her best. The nine-song set begins with a sprightly rendition of George Shearing’s
‘Lullaby Of Birdland’ and a fine, carefree swinger called ‘You’re Not The Kind’, but
elsewhere Vaughan serves up some gorgeous ballads, including a wistful ‘April In Paris’
(which finds Brown playing a plangent but lyrical horn solo using a mute) and a sensuous
‘Embraceable You’, where she caresses the lyrics with her gorgeous contralto tone.

Key song: ‘Lullaby Of Birdland’

Enjoy

Dave

8 Likes

Hi @jazzman22 just listen to the Telefonica album by Tommy Flanagan as you recommended. What a great album !! This is the style of jazz I like. Thanks for recommending !!
Iver

1 Like

“Thelonica” Freudian slip? :grinning:

Dave

:slight_smile: oh dear … #StupidKeyboard

1 Like

@IvdZ Glad you like the album. Prompted me to have another listen.

Dave

1 Like

Three favourites off the Astell&Kern whilst gently pottering in the sunshine.

I do like the guitarist Julian Lange.
And a gentle one he made with Stan and a photo from that time.

Old age and several heart attacks has caused him to retire.
On Quobuz.
N

3 Likes

Gunhild Carling, performs an astonishing Jazz solo on the bagpipes
Facebook

Amazing compositions, I played the violin with D’Silva’s son few years back, a great guy and still digs his father’s stuff, Indian mixed with Jazz gives things more possibilities in terms of harmony structure and abundant tonal colour as a result, all time classic!

Lovely evening listening to this
Iver

6 Likes

Thank you for the Billy Strayhorn recommendation.
I was not familiar with this record and will have a listen and try to discover it’s history. I can’t find it in the Nagel Heyer catalogue but it’s what I love to do and it keeps me happy(ish).
Lovely picture of Sweet Pea on the album cover.
N

1 Like

@Nick1940 I found this album on Qobuz amongst some others (also very good) of him

Trying to find any info on the Billy Strayhorn proved difficult and, as Nick said, its not listed in the current nagel heyer records catalogue. Listening to a few of the tracks suggests it’s a compilation culled from various Ellingtonia group recordings, e.g. Johhny Hodges, with Strayhorn on piano. I think the Stanley Dance Sessions contain some of Billy Strayhorn’s best small group recordings. The highly regarded album Cue For Saxophone is from these sessions.

81ue2Vn-4xL.SS500

Carsten Dahl is a new name to me but I’m enjoying the album. I love a good piano trio. Nice interplay between the musicians.

McCoy Tyner’s Nights of Ballads and Blues is a favourite.

Dave

2 Likes