Jazz Music Thread

Hey @bpou thanks for the fantastic tip on Cyrus Chestnut. Discovering this artist right now. Wonderful; the Kaleidoscope album is really nice
Iver

1 Like

Diggin’ into this Mosaic box…

4 Likes

John often pops up in one of his many guises at our local music festival. This seems to encompass his sense of musical adventure and their concert a couple of years ago was well received.
The format will not be to many a taste bud here but you have to admire the instrumental skill and I like to spread my interest.
On Qobuz and sounding very fine.
Nimage

4 Likes

The spirit of the Quintette du Hot Club de France lives on in very capable hands. :grinning:

Dave

Many thanks, @IvdZ . I am glad you are enjoying it.

1 Like

Inspired by this I decided to play this tonight. ! :+1:image|499x500

1 Like

6 Likes

Does exactly what it says on the tin

Ray Charles - Genius + Soul = Jazz

Fantastic album, this is the 2011 Analogue Productions edition.

:heart:

1 Like

John Etheridge is certainly one of the best guitar players performing today.

2 Likes

Vintage Bob. The phrasing seems to get more laconic and sparse on faster numbers. He reminds me of Humphrey Bogart spitting asides from the corner of his mouth.
The ballad playing is ravishing.
Ctritch is there to fill any holes.
The little fellah plays the bass as well as he engineers and markets these sessions.
Mark was an immense presence whenever I saw him play.
N

3 Likes

Arc Records LP reissue of the Strata-East LP.

2 Likes

Similar.

On Qobuz but a 12 incher seems to fetch about £150.00.

N

3 Likes

Interesting to read the sleeve notes on ‘One For Me’ by Maxine Gordon. I never knew that Vick was a psychology graduate, revered for his business sense and ‘sixth sense’ in anticipating adverse outcomes. As well as being an extremely versatile musician.

Picked up his BN LP at the old Honest Jon’s for a fraction of that price before the BN hype kicked in. It’s a good one, with typically fine work by Big John Patton.

1 Like

Introducing Brad Mehldau

Pianist Brad Mehldau’s 1995 debut as a leader features his straight-ahead style in trios with either Larry Grenadier or Christian McBride on bass and Jorge Rossy or Brian Blade on drums.

Scott Yanow’s AllMusic review said "This CD serves as a fine start to what should be a productive career.

And as they say the rest is history…

Enjoy

Dave

4 Likes

Least we forget today is the 60th Anniversary of the Bill Evans Trio Village Vanguard recordings.

Enjoy

Dave

11 Likes

Recommended by my favorite record store today, good music, good sound, very much enjoying this record now:

1 Like

I was hoping for years for some Nina Simone Montreux performances to be released on vinyl, now this finally happened!

Wonderful music, great sound, highly recommended. MQA Mastering according to the liner notes, sounding really good to me.

3 Likes

@Nick1940 thanks for the Bobby Wellins album recommendation. Artist is completely new to me, but I really enjoyed this album.
My new ND555 is getting « on song » and it all sounds so wonderful now
Ìver

1 Like

Whoah!
The best version of Bitches Brew I’ve ever heard.

5 Likes

Chihiro Yamanaka - Rosa

3 Likes