Jazz Music Thread

Hi @bpou I tried some Alvin Queen albums. You are very right; fantastic music. I love their sound; wow !

Iver

1 Like

I find Jarrett’s Impulse! Albums a bit hit and miss so this is a good compromise

Thank you.
There is a sister album on Qobuz.
I am really taken with the style of pianist Eddie Costa. I knew the name but not his music. Reminds me of the John Williams,Stan Getz etc pianist. No not the Star Wars composer!
Firm of finger with a punchy style. Just what we like.

If you listen closely to the stream you can hear ‘old fashioned’:wink: lp clikety plops. That has taken my memory back about 60 years.

N

1 Like

@jazzman22 @Nick1940 Bought it thanks to your recommendation - 1st listen - wow !

1 Like

Costa was also a vibes player and this quartet features a younger Bill Evans. You can just hear the start of the style that would become Evan’s trademark. Bit of Miles D on the last track.
On Q.

I forgot he was on this lp as well.

Enough research. Gin and tonic finished (Tanquery 10 and Fevertree) so Albert and I are off to bed.

N

1 Like

Even more BIll Evans for newbies and oldies alike…

"The first-ever career-spanning retrospective (1956–1980) – 5 CDs with repertoire from the Riverside, Fantasy, Verve, and Warner years. Includes the previously unreleased concert ‘On A Friday Evening’ recorded live at Oil Can Harry’s in Vancouver, BC on June 20, 1975, featuring Jazz legends Eddie Gomez on bass and Eliot Zigmund on drums.

Craft Recordings proudly honors the pioneering jazz artist Bill Evans, and his enduring musical contributions, with two new titles. The first—a deluxe, five-CD box set and digital album, titled Everybody Still Digs Bill Evans: A Career Retrospective (1956–1980)—marks the first-ever career-spanning collection of music from the pianist, featuring over 60 tracks that spotlight Evans’ exceptional work as a leader and co-leader.

The expansive set also includes a previously unreleased live performance from 1975, captured at Oil Can Harry’s in Vancouver, B.C. This recently unearthed concert recording will also be issued as a standalone album titled On a Friday Evening, which will be available on 2-LP, CD and digital formats, including hi-res 192/24 and 96/24." ref: Presto Jazz

Streaming on Qobuz.

Enjoy

Dave

4 Likes

Tal Farlow ‘78

This is the only Tal Farlow album in my collection. I purchased it on the basis of an interview and review in the US magazine Guitarist, which I used to purchase religiously at the time. The image on the front of the album shows the thing that made him so unique - his large hands, with which he was able to generate interesting voicing that others were unable to capture.

2 Likes

norvo_custom-46f12af0f0d00d21996da8c6e9a14fdcb8c7afb8-s800-c85

AllMusic Review by AllMusic [-]

One of the first great improvisers on the xylophone and marimba, Red Norvo was also one of the few swing-era stars to make a successful transition to the harmonic and rhythmic challenges of bebop (he recorded with Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie in 1945). By that time he had switched up to a vibraphone–a more versatile instrument with its amplified sound and sustain pedal–but his steely rhythmic articulation always reflected his experiences as an acoustic mallet player.

THE RED NORVO TRIO WITH TAL FARLOW AND CHARLES MINGUS chronicles his 1950-51 recordings with the innovative guitarist and bass player, and are among the most influential examples of what has come to be known as chamber jazz. When economic conditions made touring with a sextet impossible, Norvo decided to dispense with a rhythm section. In Farlow and Mingus he found players who shared his fascination with sophisticated harmonies, and were able to hang with him at the brisk tempos he favored.

Thanks to their elaborately crafted arrangements, the trio created a full orchestral dimension and a powerful rhythmic thrust. On “Prelude To A Kiss,” Mingus’ rich arco work triggers several cunning thematic variations, while Norvo’s tart dissonances behind Farlow’s solo create a harmonic tension which is only resolved during his own improvisation–together, they create a series of fanciful motifs behind Mingus’ solo. Denzel Best’s “Move” is driven along by Mingus’ articulate, up-tempo melodic variations, as Norvo and Farlow navigate his equestrian changes with imperturbable refinement. Farlow’s witty percussive effects on “Night And Day” and Mingus’ flamboyant bowing on “Time And Tide” make it seem as if the musicians are playing with roses between their teeth. From the classical grandeur of “I’ll Remember April” to the boppish drive “Godchild” and “Swedish Pastry,” the wit and technical range of this band is phenomenal.

Enjoy

Dave

1 Like

King Louis the First of Britain

The world’s greatest jazz trumpeter Louis Armstrong died 50 years ago. This is the story of how Britain and the man known as “Satchmo” fell in love with each other.

:heart:

Aged 18?I travelled by rail from Suffolk to see Louis at Kilburn Empire.
I stayed overnight in a hotel in Monmouth street behind Charring Cross Road. A big adventure for a country boy in those still post war years.
Sadly I can remember nothing of the concert but have the WC Handy and Fats Waller tribute cds.
I wish I could plug my old brain into a circuit which would dredge all these lost musical memories to the surface.Other stuff can stay down in the glop.:wink:
N

4 Likes

Not released yet but a couple of tracks can be sampled at Jazz In Britain/Bandcamp

Worth it just for the sleeve note from Simon Spillett…

Newly mastered from Trevor Watt’s original tapes. The complete recordings of the original Splinters lineup, including for the first time, the entire legendary 100 Club show and the previously unheard Grass Roots concert. The latter is believed to be the final recording of drummer Phil Seamen who died two weeks after this performance. Fully authorised.

If you are looking for a story which captures the mood of Great Britain in the early 1970s then what follows cannot be bettered. Indeed, all the folk memory leitmotifs of this period are contained within its sprawling narrative; polarised politics and protest; economic instability and wage concerns; unemployment; a very public tussle between old and new values; the forging of promising new alliances that, come the dawn, never quite delivered what they aimed to, their collective ideals crashing against the flinty realism of personal ambition, circumstantial change and individual discontent. Then there is the cast list; a mix of moderates, mediators and extremists, all struggling to make sense of an arena in which uncertainty, novelty and hubris rub shoulder to shoulder. They even look the part, their riot of sideburns, outrageous hair, chocolate brown shirts, tank tops and leather jackets a reminder that, as far as sartorial fashion went, the 1970s was an all-time low for men of all ages. And if that were not enough, into this heady mix you can add the BBC, a rich source of anecdote and allegation that has become synonymous with the double-standards of the age, yielding both comedy gold dust and questionable personal mores in equal measure. Simon Spillett - May 2021 :joy:
:heart:

2 Likes

Haha - thanks Dread I’ll check this out - great line up. Saw Trevor Watts withe a bassist and the Moire Drum Orchestra on a wet Tuesday in Norwich. There were at least 8 of them but only 5 tickets sold so they set up and played in the bar - a riotous night ensued!

1 Like

Three new Miles playlists on Tidal in chronological order. This is the first.

This CD got some critical panning when it came out, not least the copy protect - I’ve been playing it whilst routing/securing the 252/Supercap cables and I have to say, it sounds pretty great to me !

2 Likes

Dear Phil

He struggled on till his end. I think Finally Authorised more appropriate. He had been gone for some time.
Love Stan Tracey’s Bay City Rollers haircut.
Off to find the music.
N

1 Like

Re-Steamed CD

4 Likes

I am sure that is Jackie. Mrs T.
What a band. I never saw them live.
On Qobuz.
N

Yes, I believe that is correct, Jackie Tracey.

This session was also unusual for Stan in being recorded at Abbey Road. Apparently, press and film crews were down there for the recording after Stan’s publicity after the previous ‘hit’ ‘Under Milk Wood’.

1 Like

One for those who pop in looking for jazz music that is very well played but more easily approachable.Perhaps with tunes with which you are familiar.
Listen to Ronnie Mathews guiding and nurturing. Like a chordal flight path into Heathrow.
Brought back into prominence by the Bosch tv/book titles/dvd.
If you like the ‘romance’ of a damaged jazz star Frank would be your man.I leave it to Wikipedia.
On Qobuz and like all HighNotes’ sounding fine.
N

2 Likes

A nice change !

1 Like