Jazz Music Thread

2 Likes

Sadly another master has passed on.
Slide Hampton has slipped away. A fine trombone player and arranger who spent a lot of time inEurope.
Qobuz has a meagre selection.
I played image as a memorial.
Although the one with Dex and Dizzy Reece is great if you are not so interested in his arranging work.

N

1 Like

There are many Benny Carter cds in the racks.
But this is a favourite.image
On Qobuz under Marian’s name.
Benny was a fine trumpeter as well.
N

4 Likes

Hey @Nick1940 I also really like Benny Carter. So many good albums. If you like him, you probably will enjoy below. Currently listening it and it is ver nice
Iver

5 Likes

Ah. Pizza Express in Dean Street. London W1.

I might get back there one day but the virus seems to be having a resurgence.

N

1 Like

Last one I listen to this evening. Another cracking album. Very well recorded by the way
I just love this jazz style

Iver

4 Likes

Also recommended. The same lineup, same venue, a few years earlier. One of my favourite Scott Hamilton albums…

Scott Hamilton Quartet Live in London AllMusic Review

by Ken Dryden

Scott Hamilton is in top form during this live date recorded at London’s Pizza Express Jazz Club. Hamilton is always a masterful improviser who logically builds upon the foundation of each piece. Accompanied by a swinging English rhythm section consisting of pianist John Pearce, bassist Dave Green, and drummer Steve Brown, the veteran tenor saxophonist offers a diverse set, beginning with Tadd Dameron’s snappy “The Squirrel.” He easily switches gears for lush treatments of “When Your Lover Has Gone” and “When I Fall in Love.” Irving Berlin’s “Easter Parade” is hardly common fare for jazz musicians, but Hamilton recognizes timeless melodies and offers a swinging rendition. The one unfamiliar piece is “Licks,” a composition by Green which salutes the recordings that Lucky Thompson made with Oscar Pettiford during the 1950s. Highly recommended.

Enjoy

Dave

3 Likes

Really?

Intended.

I was quite proud of that.

N

1 Like

Thought so, nice one.

Tidal has a playlist.

Amazon has quite a bit from the man.

Radio 3 HD just played the track Impressions.

I’m not sure whether it was this Live version, but they said it was from the LP Consciousness.

Lovely.

2 Likes

Also listened to this today and am loving it!

1 Like

Thank you « Roon algorithm »
Iver

2 Likes

Here is a good one.

3 Likes

Anothrr fine Scott Hamilton album
Iver

New name for me. I like his slightly muffled and whispery tone on the ballads. Pozza is a known force for good.

All splendidly helped along with my bedtime Tanquery and tonic x2.
N

Another wonderful album
Streaming is great. Especialy in combination with Qobuz and/or Tidal you keep on listening and discovering. Brilliant

2 Likes

A :peach:!

5 Likes