Jazz Music Thread

IIRC Paul Bley’s first recording was with Art and Mingus.

Currently playing this gem.

5 Likes

There.

It starts to crystallise into the music titled hard bop.
The newly emerging had learnt from Diz and Bird and were now imposing their own stamp on affairs. Social and political changes were afoot that seemed to require of black jazz musicians a more determined or hard musical presentation.

Gorgeous music. On Q.

N

3 Likes

John Coltrane - Meditations

I was in HMV this morning and was tempted by this at just £3.99, but noticing Pharoah Sanders was listed as one contributor, decided to put it back. I remember last time I played this on Qobuz I found it a challenge, not as hard as Ascension, but a challenge nonetheless. Visiting it again now, my previous thoughts are confirmed. Not only did I save £3.99, but I’ve also left it for some other completist (read: sucker!).

3 Likes

A Time for Love: The Oscar Peterson Quartet - Live in Helsinki, 1987 set
A recent release- 2CD. ‘hires’ files and a 3LP Black Friday RSD set pressed at RTI (I believe). Produced by Kelly Peterson, Oscar’s widow. A good recording. Oscar and Joe Pass put on a show!

3 Likes

John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman

A bit short by today’s standards, but an essential disc.

6 Likes

Some notes here:
https://www.jazzinamerica.org/JazzResources/StyleSheets/12

Challenging is the right word. :grinning:

Dave

Great atmosphere and musical improvisation at this outdoor gig in 1974.

(But is it ‘jazz’?)

Bought this one on DSD. It’s wonderful
Iver

7 Likes

:grinning: :smiley: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :sweat_smile:
There you have it; proef that things WERE better in the old days!

Sad to see Clark Tracey’s Herts Jazz Club in St.Albans has closed with immediate effect because of a lack of audience.
My nearest and best Fleece Jazz at Stoke by Nayland struggles.

I suppose it’s a demographic thing .Old white men like me,although we might love live music just lack the juice to make the journey especially on dark nights.Youngsters were never a large part of the audience.
The ‘demic has certainly not helped.
So I played

as a tribute.

Did I enjoy it? Hmmm.

2 Likes

Come on Clive…… You have to love Pharoah!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1179/9952/products/Promises_1024x1024.jpg?v=1635303171.

Day of hard work closed down and relaxing a little with this Red Garland album which is stunning
Iver

2 Likes

Another of my piano heroes has called it a day and moved on.
Barry Harris. One of the Detroit gang. He made 91 and had a fabulous career to look back on both as performer and educator.

Qobuz selection is pretty shabby with nothing I could truly recommend apart from the Maybeck recital.

6 Likes

Mine too. The Tidal playlist has some good stuff.

I think I have most of John’s cds in my collection.
Gentle music by which he earnt his living.Splendid tunes.
He borrows from many,especially George Shearing but ends up his own man.
Bill Charlap fans will probably enjoy it. He is accompanied by the British version of the Washingtons.
Good selection of his early and later work on Qobuz.

3 Likes

RIP

2 Likes

[But is it jazz?]

2 Likes