Jazz Music Thread

Motian’s cymbals, the piano sound amazingly real on this live musical delight.

6 Likes

Classy post-bop. Recorded 2003

Enjoy

Dave

6 Likes

Hi @jazzman22 I love your recommendation of Lynch/Charlap album. Just played it; wonderful !!

Merry Christmas
Iver

1 Like

Ah, superb piano jazz
Iver

3 Likes

@IvdZ Glad you enjoyed it. Only discovered this album today. Brian Lynch was a new name to me but with Bill Charlap and Joe Framsworth on the date I thought it would be worth checking out.

Dave

1 Like

Recommended; suprb recording quality by the way
Iver

2 Likes

I know this album Nightclub by Patricia Barber quite well. Love it

Now, today I read a review of some equipment and the reviewer referred to the song Autumn Leaves on the album. He said that if you listen really carefully, you could hear some noise of what probaly is an Airco in the studio. Do you guys hear it? I don’t; even though I thought I have a « pretty ok » system :slight_smile:
Iver

6 Likes

The little fellah’s last recording.Still passionate at eighty years old.
Good ambience. You could be in the room.
Christmassy quotes in Blues Walk.
On Qobuz.

3 Likes

It’s a great album, I also don’t recall any background noise with my OK system.

However, have a look at the Patricia Barber website, she has done three albums live at the Green Mill, they have a bit of ambient noise of a club, but are superb. Patricia at her very best with some great musicians.

Tim

2 Likes

Hi @Nick1940 just tried the Harold Ashby album (Scufflin’) that you recommended. Thank you so much; I really enjoyed it. I didn’t know this artist, but I love « his sound »

Iver

1 Like

Wonderful albums for Christmas-eve
Iver

4 Likes

Al Sears was another tenor player that Duke adopted after Ben and before Gonsalves became a fixture.
Robust but disciplined. Worked a lot with Johnny Hodges small band.
I really like the chunk,chunk rhythm. Don Abney was a fine pianist.
Finding it on Qobuz is not easy… Enter Swingsville (there you will find a goldmine) and scroll down @ 25 cds. Not the same cover.

Bloody hopeless Qobuz . It should not be that difficult.

2 Likes

The only version I could find on Qoduz via Roon was…

I think the problem is more to do with out of copyright album issues.
This version is on the Dutch label Sinetone AMR.
Dave

Yes that is the one I found. That cover is similar to the original Swingsville/ Moodsville covers.

Thought Al deserved a picture.

Thanks.

1 Like

By the way I enjoyed the album. :grinning:

Dave

1 Like

Her latest album. Recommended.

4 Likes

Always a treat. I love how he discovers a steel bar in his sound when he pushes down on the accelerator.
I was taken by James Chirillo’s nice fat guitar sound. His own out put is not,to my mind, remarkable but I chanced upon this.

I don’t understand much modern trumpeting but apart from that It is a pleasurable listen.

3 Likes

A bit of an accidental find, Relax Your Mind on Lead Belly Reimagined by Adam Nussbaum. I really enjoyed it along with the rest of the album!

2 Likes

We continue mass absorption of Jazz compilations from the famous Venus label. Gold Disc Vol Two-Volume.4 belongs to a special release of the label " This Is Venus Jazz 80 Gold Discs ". In total, four compilation came out in this series, each two CD.

3 Likes

Even I am surprised sometimes by what I can find on my shelves….

Not so sure about Joe. But a unique voice.
On Qobuz.

4 Likes