Jazz Music Thread

@Nick1940 just listening to « Joe meets the rhythm section » …. great (!) catch; super album
Iver

I spend the evening listening to Jimmy Forrest. For the fans of mainstreal jazz, definitely try below. Very pleasant

Iver

4 Likes

The more I listen to this album the better it gets.

4 Likes

Great suggestion! Very high recording quality.
I found this, too

1 Like

Didn’t know this one, Thanks![quote=“docbot, post:4009, topic:2050, full:true”]
My favourite local record shop (Hey Joe) opened today for the first time in months. I just had to pay him a visit and came away with some great vinyl. The lp I am playing now is the Dexter Gordon Quartet, Live in Chateauvallon 1978. This is a relatively new release. Great music and a great pressing.

[/quote]

3 Likes

I have played this classic Charles Mingus LP this evening and over the holiday period. Marvellous musicians and music in a great recording - especially ‘Goodbye Pork Pie Hat’ - recommended.

13 Likes

Harold Land - Westward Bound

3 Likes

Charles Mingus …Love this album…one of my favotite

1 Like

I don’t think Charles ever managed to get a booking at Blue Note records so modern day vinyl hipsters have probably not managed to hear him. He did play with Mingus for a while, but spent a lot of time teaching.
Out of Sonny Stitt,I suppose,but with a more raw edge in the direction of Dolphy?
Listen to his solo on Blue n’. Even allowing for circular breathing, where does the man draw a breath.
Admirable support,beautiful recording and on Qobuz with many other titles.

1 Like

Great music but I can never understand why Qobuz lists such records as ‘hi res’. It has a very boxy sound with the bass over emphasised and the piano muffled. It does show up Philly Joe well.
Typical club recording of the time.
I enjoyed it. Just sayin.

1 Like

Just listening to the Harold Land as I type this. Enjoyable and I agree with your comments on the recording. Live recordings can vary in sound quality as it may take the recording engineer to adjust his settings as the music goes on and I find that the sound quality can improve as you get into the album - imho. This album was recorded in 1964 and not released until recently - not in its original time frame so the tapes might not be in the best condition after almost 60 years? For a great Harold Land album try his ‘The Fox’ some seriously fast bop here.

My favourite Charles McPherson:

Not a lover of jazz+ strings (apart from Bird, of course) but they work well here

1 Like

It’s three sessions recorded between 1962-65
Here is a quote from another article (on the allaboutjazz website):

The performances heard on Westward Bound! took place between 1962 and 1965 at The Penthouse in Seattle, Washington. Although bassist Monk Montgomery remained with Harold Land throughout, the album features three different bands; the first consists of Land and Montgomery with trumpeter Carmell Jones, pianist Buddy Montgomery, and drummer Jimmy Lovelace. The middle group sees them joined by pianist Hampton Hawes and drummer Mel Lee, whereas the final incarnation brought in John Houston on piano and Philly Joe Jones on drums.

Not heard the album you’ve shown here, so I will definitely check it out.
As I’m here, my Happy New Year gift to you is the Gene Ammons pairing with Sonny Stitt, Boss Tenors, assuming you don’t already have it of course.

3 Likes

I listened to this album

on Qobuz twice in succession and then bought the vinyl from Amazon - special price too! Excellent playing but the recording is too compressed and lacks any air imho. I don’t think Blue Note are what they were sound wise. Music comes first though for me and trumps sound quality.

Nothing new to be heard here. But just listen, to only the first track if this music is outside your normal orbit,to the passion and joy Edward Kennedy brings to his nightly work place.
The other old timers are on good form as well.
On Qobuz.

Listening to this again.

So good.

And I idly opened the booklet to see if it listed who’s in the band and - it even includes a review by the greatest ever music critic, the Mighty Thom Jurek!

That’s a very good live session.

Yes, a brilliant set of musicians.

Do you listen via Roon, or do you use the Naim app, or other media?

Just interested as I’ve never used Roon and wonder what forms of info it would contain about an album such as this one?

Too much info and opinion can just put you off from listening, but it generally helps to know who was playing what, and perhaps have a bit of insight into the band dynamics and intentions too…

I use the Naim app, Jim. But I do have that set on CD, so if I was interested in checking who’s playing, I’d just have to pull out the set. Most of my CDs are in boxes in various rooms around the house, but given that box sets don’t fit, they’re kept out on my record racks so are generally quite accessible. If it’s a CD which is filed away somewhere unknown (and I usually can’t be bothered trying to find it), I have a look on AMG (Rovi) either through the Naim app or directly in the AMG app when the Naim app times out. Also Wikipedia can help as well as music review web sites. I don’t fancy paying to use Roon, when I don’t see any great benefit.

1 Like