Jazz Music Thread

Most of the jazz I have on vinyl is also available on Qobuz, but a lot of the digitally recorded jazz I see on Qobuz is not available on vinyl. If you are complaining about the Tone Poet series I guess I’m not really quite sure I understand what the problem is. The goal of the series is to rediscover/rerelease recordings from the Blue Note and sister catalogs. I think Joe Harley is doing a terrific job with it. He has dug out some great stuff that might not have seen the light of day again otherwise.

2 Likes

It’s a hanging print of an excerpt from Beethoven’s 9th. It is printed with the music right side up superimposed with the same printed upside down.

3 Likes

Thank you.

:fire:

1 Like

Huge thanks for this JDP. I know your standards are very exacting so these recommendations carry a ton of weight with me. I don’t own any of those ‘Gems’. …
Really helpful for everything except my bank balance :wink::+1:

1 Like

Treating myself to this album again.

Wow.

Paul Motian and Gary Peacock are so self restrained, they play an almost traditional base role for Keith to dance around on top of and inbeteeen.

Just delightful lightness of touch and interplay.

7 Likes

Enjoying some Grover Washington recently and came across this tribute album. It’s well recorded and provides some good covers of Grover’s hits.

An old favourite. Diz has the rounder tone and greater facility. Roy sears with a touch of mosquito to the sound.
Oscar Peterson trio with either Rich or Belson drumming.
( more information there than contained in the nonsense attached to the Naim/Qobuz website)
Delicate jazz this ain’t. Don’t be looking for introspection.
A new one to me. Shorty Baker played with Duke for years,his is the softer sound. Cheatam became more famous in his later years as an orchestra leader.
Fine piano vamps from Walter Bishop jnr and wonderful drumming from JC Heard.
As ever on Qobuz and both sounding fine

Trumpets for tea.

3 Likes

Just took out a 3 month sub to Tidal for £2 to look for new music.

Found that Tidal has the whole of Trilogy by the Chick Corea Trio.

7 Likes

There is also a Trilogy 2. Also well worth playing.

I am listening to Marcin Wasilewski Trio’s latest album on ECM, En attendant . I normally love this group, on their own or as the rhythm section for Tomasz Stanko. I hate to say it, but so far the album is kinda dull. The next tune is “Glimmer of Hope” so maybe it’s a premonition. Their version of the Doors “Riders on the Storm” follows. LOL

4 Likes

If you get bored of it, here’s a bit of proper jazz!

6 Likes

I love NHOP’s bass. Check him out on Tete Montoliu’s album Tête à Tete on Steeplechase Records. Amazing bass solos.

1 Like

Now I’m playing Tomasz Stanko’s Lontano, with Marcin Wasilewski‘s trio as the rhythm section. The title track is amazing. It slowly builds up to one really hard swinging performance. I love the build up and the climax. Great album. Also on ECM Records

5 Likes

Wonderful first track!

1 Like

Is there a download available, or is that a ripped CD/LP ?
Thanks

Brilliant combination. Top drawer musicians.

1 Like

Yes, jazz musicians love to experiment playing with different partners (and were often forced to in order to get the gig) in different venues with different music.

This creates some great combinations e.g. Jarrett, deJohnette & Motian as a trio.

(The supergroups in rock were less common and less successful imo.)

Thanks for sharing, very much enjoyed watching it

I have the original LP. I see the CD is available on Amazon. It’s also available on Qobuz.

I must have typed something wrong, could not find it on Qobuz - found it now - thanks!

1 Like