Jazz Music Thread

Just launched; highly pleasant listen
Iver

1 Like

Hey @Nick1940 I listened to your “Roy and Diz” recommendation !! Wow, brilliant. I tend not too much to Dizzy Gillespie, but this album is very nice!
Iver

Cory Henry, Just jamming on keyboards, and singing, crooning, like Stevie Wonder - effortless…

Pure happiness!

I’m with you on this. I have been underwhelmed by Marcin W Trio’s last releases.

I’m into this at the moment.
Trio Grande… can’t believe there is only three of them.

1 Like

I’ve been listening to Graham Collier’s British Conversations via online digital and I think it’s just sublime.

I’m so happy that this has finally seen a release. I have ordered it on vinyl. Mastered and cut by Gearbox records, so should be good…

4 Likes

Chet Baker in Tokyo

2 Likes

A tale of two Shirleys.
At the peak of her game with Stanley Turrentine indicating the true way.
Roy Brookes casual sounding but pin accurate drumming not to be ignored.

12 years on and Shirl. seems to have lost some of her directness and sounds more like an organist the Mahavishnu man might have employed.
Herald Vick struggles against a welter of influences.
Who would employ the wonderful Higgins and then offer him cow bell support ?
Guess which one I prefer.

1 Like

Another great Shirley Scott album, is actually Stanley Turrentine’s when they still married. This is the excellent Tone Poet reissues of Huslin’

8 Likes

Another one with the Turrentine’s.

6 Likes

Completely agree - a stunning album and recording.

My favourite jazz LPs - Katanga! by Curtis Amy and Dupree Bolton (Pacific Jazz/Tone Poet) and The Blues and the Abstract Truth by Oliver Nelson and co (Impulse/Acoustic Sounds). Both reissued in 2021 - and both have that wonderful combination of great tracks and crystal clear recording. Highly recommended.

4 Likes

Saw him playing with Wynton Marsalis quite a long time ago, can’t even remember where, but his trombone playing was beautiful !!!

1 Like

Thanks a million Josquin I have some listening to do!

1 Like

I might have to check that album out then. Thank for the tip.

1 Like

Top quality quartet playing mostly Ornette Coleman tunes.

One of the reasons I rarely visit SHF these days, it’s become more like a hate forum, so many on there need to chill
(I messaged a moderator to simply ask how to delete my acount and got a message in reply saying I was being banned for breach of rules!)

That sounds like a result!

1 Like

For me or them? :joy:

SH Forums is no better or worse than any others (including this one). It has its good parts and its bad parts. The Tone Poet thread is vastly improved after all the warble-gate posters moved on. I participate in it regularly (I’m also one of three people in the thread that keep in touch with Joe Harley).

1 Like