Jazz Music Thread

What a great film.

Loving the John Densmore perspective, given his subsequent brilliant legacy in rock n roll.

Ditto McCoy Tyner - one of my favourite artists,

3 Likes

I need to make a pilgrimage to the Coltrane house in Dix Hills !

1 Like

Piano jazz nirvana…

The Complete Riverside Recordings AllMusic Review

by Scott Yanow

This magnificent 12-CD set contains all of Bill Evans’ Riverside recordings as a leader, an extremely important period in the influential pianist’s development. The first session predates Evans’ period with the Miles Davis Sextet and other significant sessions include his sets with bassist Scott LaFaro and drummer Paul Motian (highlighted by the marathon Village Vanguard session of June 25, 1961), Evans’ return nearly a year after LaFaro’s death in a car accident with a new trio (consisting of Motian and bassist Chuck Israels), a sideman set with altoist Cannonball Adderley, the Interplay sessions with either trumpeter Freddie Hubbard or tenor saxophonist Zoot Sims, an extensive and rather somber solo set, and a 1963 appearance at Shelly’s Manne Hole with bassist Israels and drummer Larry Bunker. Twenty sessions are released in full, 151 selections in all, including 24 performances that had been previously unissued at the time. Fortunately for listeners with a budget, nearly all of this material has since been reissued on single CDs (mostly as part of the Original Jazz Classics series), but true Bill Evans fanatics will have to get this remarkable box.

Streaming on Qobuz.

Enjoy

Dave

4 Likes

Really? This Bill Evans fan already has all his Riverside releases on either CD or vinyl, or both!

Scott Yanow’s words not mine but these box sets do tend to include extras for the “fanatics”.

I’m one of his “listeners with a budget”. I also have most, if not all, of the Riverside recordings on CD, and vinyl before that, and can listen to the additional tracks on Qoduz.

Dave

This is terrific:

Rave review for this in Jazzwise today

3 Likes

Part 2 of Grilling Crickets is an absolute belter.

1 Like

Shake Stew are a lot of fun - when I posted something of theirs a while back I unkindly (and stereotypically) described it as funky oompah. They have more in common with our own Hackney Colliery Band. Looking forward to seeing the Stew at the Cheltenham Jazz Fest at the end of the month.

1 Like

Highly recommended by AllMusic.
Outstanding recording quality by the japanese Venus.

4 Likes

Sadly not available on Qobuz, out of print and seemingly limited availabilty on Discogs. :frowning:

Dave

Four albums from the Basso/Valdambrini group on 2cds. Swinging Italian be-bop.

One for JM22’s piano collection.
Another of Jordi Pujol’s finds at the back of a cupboard.
Nice playing in front of you ambience. Recorded at his home.
On Q. Plus one with Carmel Jones.

3 Likes

Mingus programme playing now on BBC Radio 3.

1 Like

I think there are other Mingusy bits on R3 over the week end.
Elizabeth Alker on this morning’s R3 breakfast was at full gush.

2 Likes

Read all about it…

Dave

On Steeplechase 180g LP.

2 Likes

Blue Note blue label vinyl.

2 Likes

1 Like

Recent reissue. On Qobuz.
More Jordi Pujol discoveries although some might have been on a Mosaic Select.
Takes me back to the Mad Men tv and Peter Gunn detective series.
It must have been popular in its day RCA recorded 5 or 6 lps.
Obvious Basie leanings. Nice arrangements,fine solos, quite romantic in places and nothing goes on for too long. If you deconstruct the tracks they are quite cleverly put together.
I am pleased there is still a market for this music. I thought it was only me loved it.

1 Like