Oh bloody yess; this is nice !!!
Found a high-res version on Qobuz sounding pretty good
Iver

1 Like

Nice surprise
Piano jazz at very high level
Iver

2 Likes

What a delight and nice surprise. This album was launched this week. Very, very nice
Iver

Bill Evans, born 16/08/1929

5 Likes

2 Likes

I am a great Coleman Hawkins fan. Honestly believe this is one of hist best albums. What donthe others here think?
Iver

2 Likes

The man!

2 Likes

@Skeptikal oh yeah, that album us lovely as well !

…always liked that one!

3 Likes

My favourite. Buck Clayton prods him and doesn’t let the Hawk settle.
On Qobuz. High and Mighty.

Just had another listen. What an impressive drummer was Mickey Sheen.

3 Likes

Oh my lord; this sounds brilliant
Iver

7 Likes

Test of old persons’ hipness.
How many times do you mutter ‘Oh yeah’ to yourself after a fine few blue notes.
The master at this stuff. Idress,Pepper Adams, Mal Waldron,DougWatkins,
Arthur Taylor and that bloody conga player (sorry)
On Qobuz .

3 Likes

In my top ten. Bought the 10 inch lpwhen a spotty youth and never wandered far.
There are stories that Miles had one of his hissy fits and wouldn’t allow Monk to play behind him.

3 Likes

@Nick1940 you’re so knowledgable in this soace; love the small anecdotes
Iver

Well there are 70 years of listening between that spotty youth and today so I should have learnt a bit.
Thanks for the compliment.

2 Likes

Hey @Nick1940 & others,

I had this question a long time already: I thought of trying the Gene Ammons album you recommended. So I searched for it through Roon which handles both Qobuz and Tidal in my case. I end up with 13 (!!) versions just on Qobuz. So the question is « how do I choose the original & best sounding album? I te,d to choose for a version that either says re-mastered or Rudy Van Gelder version, but I am not so sure if that is the best approach. Of course I can open each version and sees what lable it comes from (in which case I typically would choose for the likes Impulse, Chesky, BlueNote etc etc), but that is very time consuming. Any tips?
Iver

6 Likes

I would always go for the RVG or his remastering. This will be as close as.
Look for the Prestige or BlueNote cover in the listings. Many were marketed by OJC under license.
So many of these records get released after third hand recording by unauthorised sources I am sure they will not sound any better. I am not sure what a high definition label means on music recorded in 1960.

2 Likes