Jazz Music Thread

From my Mac it goes through TuneIn which blocks it🫤

Try using the app as @Skeptikal suggests or go to their website and play direct from there.

https://www.jazz24.org/

DG…

1 Like

Bummer sorry. :roll_eyes:

Loving this thanks

1 Like

This sounds fkin awesome Thanks Skep x

1 Like

Your welcome he’s got a few albums worth digging out.

1 Like

I just started playing this new release that came today. Elvin Jones Revival: Live at Pookie’s Pub. 3 LPs. So far the music is fantastic. I just heard a phone ring on the recording that sounds exactly like my iPhone old timey ring tone. LOL.

Elvin is on fire. I always like Joe Farrell too.

9 Likes

Two wonderful albums
The Esbjörn one was released this week; very nice

Iver

5 Likes

To quote the record label blurb:

The release of HOME.S., the only existing, previously unreleased solo album by pianist Esbjörn Svensson, is nothing less than a sensation.

Many thanks for giving the heads up.

Dave

3 Likes

I like the album, it’s a great testament…

4 Likes

Enjoy

Dave

3 Likes

Loving this album

1 Like

Just got into Houston thanks…loving his works

1 Like

A couple of 80s Jazz albums I found at a record fair in Sydney this weekend.

Two of my favourite alto players featured.
Early Kenny Garrett on the Mulgrew Miller and a fab Peter King album.
The opening track Reverse Thrust is a great track that features PK flying around the sax with his wonderful big bright sound.

Both albums featuring traffic lights in NY on their artwork… 80s cool.

Will

3 Likes

6 Likes

Horace Tapscott - The Quintet (Qobuz HR/Mr Bongo/Flying Dutchman)

Enjoying a first listen to this Interesting previously unissued session from the Flying Dutchman label brought courtesy of Mr Bongo in Brighton.
From 1969 pre dating his later formation of the Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra with the Nimbus West label. Similarly this is great free/avant garde Jazz that manages to stay enjoyably listenable without descending into fire in a pet shop self indulgent racket

Joining Horace for this three-track, deep, heavy, avant-garde session are the same stellar cast featured on ‘The Giant Is Awakened’; Arthur Blythe on Alto Sax, Everett Brown Jr on Drums, with David Bryant and Walter Savage Jr. on Bass. Kicking things off we have 'World Peace’, which starts with an almost baroque-esque melody, leading to an eruption in sound, it then ends in the same manner it began. The beautiful ‘Your Child’ is the jewel in the crown, skirting modal, deep jazz and introducing elements of free jazz. ‘For Fats’ with its bow bass and piano intro takes you on a journey, dropping into, at times dark, stormy melodies and developing a driving energy as the composition progresses.

20221122_171023

Followed by the aformentioned The Giant Is Awakened from Ace Records/Flying Dutchman via Qobuz HR

:heart:

1 Like

Following the previous Horace Tapscott’s on Flying Dutchman with this interesting looking compilation from Ace via Qobuz

:heart:

2 Likes

There were many Sonny Stitt recordings near the end of his life. All were good and this is very good.
Sadik Hakim or. Hakim Sadik or Argonne Thornton gets a chance to shine.
Buster Williams produces a fine sound.
The muddy sounding drummer, JR Mitchell a renaissance man of jazz according to his biography seemingly went off to live in the Land of Dread :grimacing: :wink:.
Seen better David Stone Martin covers.
On Qobuz as are all of the Progressive label lps.

3 Likes

What would have been my live music.
Recorded originally by Doug Dobell, 77 Charring Cross Road.
Sounds shabby but good history for those of an age (old).
A look up on Discogs will give you the participants.
So sad it sounds like a load of mashed turnips.
On Qobuz if you are old or brave.

1 Like

The incomparable Tal Farlow:

2 Likes