Jazz Music Thread

Filmworks XVIII, John Zorn.

Melodic chamber jazz.

3 Likes

I have these reissues, best of British jazz…this looks good.

I like the Filmworks series from John. Some of the more tuneful albums from his massive catalogue…

The Best Of Filmworks - 20 Years Of Soundtrack Music is a great selection.

2 Likes

Not seen that compilation. Got many of them as albums and like XIV the most…think I might play a few this weekend as its been a long while. Thanks for the prompt…

Chet Baker - Peace Enja Records 1982.
Great group of musicians and a rare recording stateside for Chet during this period.
I’ve been after a decent reasonably priced copy of this for a very long time and just bought this on Discogs.

3 Likes

Jimmy Raney & Doug Raney - Stolen Momments - Steeplechase Records

Father and son team up to record some very good music is this a one and only fathe and son Jazz duet?

Chet Baker, Jean Paul & Henry Florens - “rendez-vous” - Bingow Records 1979
This arrived this morning and I’ve managed to played Side 2 so far and My Funny Valentine and Round Midnight are very, very good.
Like Prestige era Miles and especially late on in his career Chet always resists the urge to spiral off into some trumpet gymnastics and plays JUST enough. Though his improvisation is what he is known for it’s his tone and confidence to leave enough space in and amongst his playing that gets me.

2 Likes

Tommy Flanagan, Red Mitchell & Elvin Jones - Super Session - Enja Records 1980
I love the photo of Tommy Flanagan on this cover he looks one of the characters from
Guess Who the children’s game that I used to have to play endlessly with my niece and nephew.

2 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

Duke Jordan - Two Loves - Steeplechase Records 1974
Duke Jordan - Flight to Denmark - Steeplechase Records 1974
Both these records where recorded during the same two sessions in Nov & Dec 1973 at Sound Track in Copenhagen.
I have to strongly disagree with Miles Davis here because I think Duke is first class, in the autobiography I read it stated that Miles wasn’t keen on D J because he was enthralled with Ahmad Jamal at that time and thought him (DJ) pedestrian in comparison.

5 Likes

Duke Jordan recorded lots on Steeplechase including another favourite No Problem with Chet Baker. If you go to Discogs or just Google most of Duke Jordan’s output during the 70’s & 80’s is on Steeplechase.

1 Like

The Chet Baker flame still burns…

Originally released 1999.

61KWpyAfCtL.SX466

Originally released 2018.

Local streaming from Qobuz download.

Dave

6 Likes

It’s a great performance (remarkable considering), and a wonderful recording too - Roy DuNann got this one just right. My favourite issue is the '80s Boplicity on vinyl. Immaculate pressings and great sound too, but still very much under the radar, so you don’t have to pay crazy prices for them.

1 Like

October 13th, 1957
CD on Blue Note remastered by RvG

Great “hard bop” piano trio session…

8 Likes

@GeoffC thanks for the recommendation … Just played the album !! Marvellous

1 Like

Another fine one on Contemporary, recorded in 1959 and released 1960, with the big band arrangements by Marty Paich.
Art Pepper + Eleven

7 Likes

Cannonball Adderley Quintet - Them Dirty Blues - 2016 reissue on Pan Am Records
originally released on Riverside in 1960 this reissue isn’t bad and is very listenable a great group of songs by a group of top jazzmen.

3 Likes

Just played this twice in succession. Great album.

I was discussing this with my wife and she asked how the Village Vanguard can possibly survive if patrons have to remain two metres apart when (if) it eventually reopens? It has a maximum capacity today of 123. With two metre spacing that’ll be reduced to around 20 at a guess.

5 Likes