JBL and Naim?

The JBL L 82 are a smaller 2 way rather than 3 way like the L 100s but some people prefer them to the larger ones. Other speakers to look out for on similar lines are the KLH 5s, similar to to the L 100s and again some prefer them at half the price, also the Wharfedale Linton heritage these are cheaper still.

2 Likes

I have seen a pair of the L100 for sale ex dem online by an audio dealer chain with several shops, about £1000 off new price. The dealers branch with them for sale does stock Naim so they would know if it a good match. Not sure if I am allowed to mention the name, so haven’t as I don’t want get told off again.

1 Like

Lovely story Richard. Owning a pair of speakers that are not only good, but also in a historical context is rare and really cool I think, congratulations!

Thanks, is this a UK dealer chain?

1 Like

My local Naim dealer has a pair of L100 ex demos for sale, I was having a look at them today. They are a great looking speaker and certainly stand out with the retro orange grill.

1 Like

Yes, it is a UK chain. They have a branch in my hometown of Brighton.

1 Like

Here is a picture of my JBL Apollo’s. The centre speaker is also JBL but I don’t remember the model.

Although common wisdom is that vintage JBL’s sound best with tube amps and are usually seen on YouTube powered by monster amps, I have found the XS2 to be a good fit as the speakers are very efficient. I believe the efficiency is about 100db @ 1 metre or more.

In my opinion, JBL’s, especially those with alnico magnets, has the most satisfying bass: sumptuous, soft, more felt than heard. Most other brands can’t seem to get it right. They are either sclerotic, too hard or too lumpy.

9 Likes

I’m still on the run …

1 Like

Yes it (hopefully) never stops.

1 Like

That sounds good. Where is your local dealer?

Hi Bjorn, Hampton Wick - UK, hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks Phil :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.