Jern Speakers

Yup. Kid 4 wants to watch it all the time and it is not that bad :slight_smile:

1 Like

Both of ours like it, too. Phineas and Ferb is my favorite among the things they watch, but Grizzly and co are the next best thing.

Teasing is the right word: ) I also had trouble taking them seriously in the beginning. It seems you have difficulty taking them seriously, like me. I can see the price also is a reason.
When I first heard them they were played after some Kudos X2. Not the best speakers, but good enough for Sn-ndx2 for example. The Jern were so much better.
I used them with 82-Hicap-250.2 fed by Linn Klimax ds1 and a lp12-kore-Armageddon-karousel-Aro-adikt. They were great. If you read some of the reviews they are really high-end. Could be used with stuff up to 552. The salesman who sold them to me thinks his 12 ws is the best he has heard. He has a Lejonklou and klimaxed lp12.
F

3 Likes

Hi Mulberry
My room is quite big. 45 m2. I use one subwoofer.
I like the naturalness, big soundstage and transparency. But what I like the most is the attack, responsiveness and speed. They remind me of Sbls in this regard. They are quite honest, like old Naim, so they need a very good source and should be matched well. They are not for people who like soft, fat, smooth sounding speakers.
F

1 Like

Fred, here some words from Roy Gregory, review on the 12XF:

Bass extension also seemed to defy physics. How could so much low-frequency energy be created by such a modest enclosure with a meagre drive unit? The result is quite staggering as well as enormously satisfying. Track after track, from Yello (‘The Race’), ‘The Chain’ from Fleetwood Mac as well as Red Hot Chili Peppers’ ‘Around the World’ and ‘Give it Away’ showed just what can be achieved with speakers of this scale. Those feet were tapping away again from a bass extension of precision and depth while driving the room in a lively and dynamic presentation.

The only area where I had a modest reservation was on human voice. Here, on some occasions, I sensed a slightly recessed presence region, making it necessary to increase the volume for some male voices to be intelligible over background noises on radio and TV dramas. That said, I would prefer this to the all-too-common balance in modern speakers of having such a forward projection that performers are placed in the listener’s lap in a most disconcerting and certainly highly unnatural way.

2 Likes

A very big thank you Fred. I think I have about a minute or two listening time with SBLs and that was quite a while ago. The German Naim distributor at that time ran the demo at my dealer in a packed room and far too loud, while engaging the listeners to tap their feet instead of just listening. I spend the next hour alone in the next room in front of some Duntech speakers and Marantz Music Link electronics, listening to my music. But that’s another story…
My room is smaller, approximately 32 m2, but seems to suck up bass like a sponge. The best speakers so far are both from Bauer Audio, the LS 3 and Dude. The former is, strictly speaking, a little too much for this room, while the latter is best in room up to 25 m2. Because of this, I’ve been thinking about smaller speakers plus subwoofer.
How loud do you have to play the Jerns before they open up?

1 Like

Hi!
I think they play well at lower volumes, better than Neat Iotas (xplorers and alphas) which open up more playing loud. Its hard to say how they behave In your room, but they resonate extremely Little an are easy to place.
F

1 Like

Hi FR,
unless Roy Gregory is using a pseudonym, that’ review is by Trevor Butler.

1 Like

Ah ok, didn’t checked precisely. As Roy Gregory is quite always writing on Ear Audio, I thought it was him.

I absolutely love them, in combination with a REL subwoofer, or to? Mine are 14 DS. My review is here from a few years ago. They perform similarly with my 272.

2 Likes

Very nice review!
F

Great review, have bookmarked the site now, nice to have a review mentioning music I know.

Looks like I need to arrange an audition.

Have bookmarked the site too :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.