Jimi Hendrix Red House , my favourite version

My favourite live Hendrix album. Buy it you can get it quite cheaply, you won’t be disappointed

2 Likes

I’ll forgive you Dire Straits :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks @Buster
I’d seen this album but never bought it…ordered, CBS stickered release for £15. Worth a shot!

There was a free cd given away in the Sunday Times a good few years ago featuring 10 tracks from jimi’s Royal Albert Hall performance - alas not including the elusive Red House.
Available on the bay for £2 at most.
Quality could be objectionable, and also the free availability - as the Sunday Times was sued £150.000 reportedly.

I have to choose between it or the San Diego.

Enjoy! Red House is my favourite version, just stellar, also fabulous versions of Hear My Train My Train a Comin’, Hey Joe and a fabulous bluesy Bleeding Heart. Oh, a brilliant Little Wing too!

2 Likes

The Randalls Island July 1970 live version was also on the 2001 Classic Records 4LP boxsets (Red Vinyl 140gm or 200gm Black Vinyl) from 2001.

1 Like

Just taken a punt for a couple of quid inc postage from fleabay.

1 Like

I think I will go for it. Just listened through Allmusic, seems to be a very good album.

Here the review:

The Jimi Hendrix Concerts Review

by Stephen Cook

Out of several live albums, The Jimi Hendrix Concerts stands as one of the very best. Taken from shows at Winterland, The Royal Albert Hall, and from various venues in New York, Berkeley, and San Diego, the set includes hits like “Fire,” “Voodoo Chile,” and “Hey Joe,” as well as fine blues like “Red House,” “Bleeding Heart,” and “Hear My Train a Comin’.” Highlights include a definitive version of “Little Wing” and one of the most assured and driving versions of “Voodoo Chile” (these and four other stellar tracks come from what must have been an amazing concert at Winterland in the fall of ‘68). Another standout is “I Don’t Live Today,” which features a fine mix of jazz-inspired soloing and various feedback and distortion “tricks” (tricks that figure into [Hendrix’s way of “playing with the electronics,” and which make up one of the more innovative aspects of his guitar playing). [Hendrix]) gets adept and sympathetic support throughout from bassist [Noel Redding and drummer [Mitch Mitchell (Band of Gypsies’ bassist [Billy Cox replaces [Redding ) on “Red House” and “Hey Joe”). With top-notch performances, consistently inspired solos, and excellent sound, this is probably the best introduction to [Hendrix live recordings.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.