Joe Bonamassa

You mean… this…?

1 Like

Yes.
I think it is a top 4 Premier League Rock song. IMHO. Although it borrows from a few places.

1 Like

SRV is an interesting one. He’s not a top favourite for me, but I definitely enjoy his albums when the mood takes me to listen to them. He can be a bit unsubtle, but he mixes a powerful style with taste and writes (and sings) great songs. How lovely is ‘Lenny’?Spine-tingling ‘Tin-Pan Alley’. Rocking-take yer pick. But, the crucial point for me is, whether or not you like his music, SRV has a style that is unique and distinctive. He shares the B.B. King thing - a few notes and you know it’s him.
Can we say the same about Joe B?

1 Like

I think this is very true - I can spot an SRV track almost instantly. BB King absolutely. JB….well I go through a few other artists before I get to him. Unless Beth Hart is singing of course, in which case it’s clear as day too.

I also think Robert Cray is super distinctive - terrific and underrated singer too.

2 Likes

May I suggest the Legendary Tommy Bolin, for 40 years I have listened to his wonderful recordings…To replace Joh Walsh and Ritchie Blackmore, you really are special. A wonderful player and singer!

Surprised by your ‘Little Wing’ comment @MattCray.

My all time music hero, as far back as 1966, is Eric Clapton. He can do little wrong for me.

I hadn’t heard of SRV until his death & when I did I was dismayed that he appeared to blow Eric away with his playing which appeared on a higher technical level to Mr Clapton’s. However I bought a Tribute to SRV album on which Eric contributed a track which was very ‘pedestrian’ compared to SRV version. However EC’s version ‘said’ so much more with every note then Stevie’s did & made me realise why he was, has been & is, still head & shoulders above everyone else, even after all these years. His playing, to my ears, has so much more to say than anyone else’s. In comparison SRV, along with Bonamassa, appear just to play impressively most of the time without injecting much feeling into the music.

That said, & finally back to your point, I have always considered Jimi’s ‘Little Wing’ far too short. It hinted to me as having far more to say but, for some reason didn’t. Clapton’s version sounded great live in a huge arena but lacked some of his usual feeling to me. I have always considered the SRV version to be the best by far as well as his finest moment. It combines both compassion, subtly & aggression in correct proportion in much the way Clapton’s many versions of ‘Old Love’ do, when his playing seems to reflect his feelings at the time of each performance of the song.

There you have it. A long way of saying that I can’t agree with you in this instance!

1 Like

Clapton is now just too problematic for me. His conduct during the pandemic is indefensible and reveals an unsavoury character first displayed during his previous racist rant.

4 Likes

Yep, unfortunately I have to agree.
Clapton is another one to fall in the great artist, dodgy character category.

3 Likes

I’d heard about the rant previously, and thought not much off it - until I read a transcript. My lord. It’s not some sort of display of outdated views that look worse in hindsight than it was, it’s pure unadulterated hate fuelled racism.

He’s not for me.

2 Likes

This is absolutely my view of SRV - it’s just all a bit “up to eleven”

I do agree that the original version of Little Wing is just frustratingly short! …but isn’t that the sign of greatness? …leave them wanting more? …thinking Teenage Kicks and clearly also a different genre - but I’ve heard many many longer versions of “Please please please let me get what I want” by the Smiths, but never heard one that gets close to the bettering the 1min 57sec of the original! ….there are multiple live versions of Little Wing that provide a bit more satisfaction - but they are all a little flawed too in my view.

I think the soul just oooozes out on the Hendrix version - I think it’s easily his best song - and once that (bizarrely) I came to via a cover version that Sting did of it. Which is actually really good.

I think we are going to agree to disagree on the SRV version :relieved::grinning: - although I will try it again. Which version would you point me at to give it a fighting chance? …something other that the studio version maybe, or is that the one?

The SRV catalogue has a mix of up-tempo stuff and more languid material. Sure, some of it is ‘turned up to 11’ but this is balanced by more reflective tracks. I suspect if he had continued making music he would have produced a maturing body of work - as many other talented artists have done. Unfortunately fate intervened…

1 Like

Along with Van Morrison. We all knew he was a grumpy and difficult curmudgeon, but we didn’t know he was also an idiot.

I was in the car today though, and “Tupelo Honey” shuffled in. Wonderful. So I’m pleased he’s not stepped as far into the dark as Clapton has.

Strange considering his whole career has been based on music of black origin and he has shared the stage with countless black musicians.
Don’t get it.

1 Like

It is. But “that” speech - and his views on COVID - I think reveals a man who has spent most of his life detached from reality. And I’m being kind.

1 Like

Yes…sad really. Be best if he and VM kept their mouths shut really, but hey ho.

2 Likes

There are many famous musicians who are, or were, complete a*seholes. Many 70s stars would be in Jail if you applied todays standards. It does not stop me from enjoying their music. ( perhaps it should).
For me, the best version of Little Wing is Stings version with Hiram Bullock on guitar, quite brilliant playing and interpretation.

2 Likes

@MattCray
@Collywobbles
@Neilb1906
@Svetty

My adoration of Clapton has always been for his music, not the man.

Some of what he has said (in his racist rant) was undoubtedly fuelled by drink & drugs. Not an excuse, but I doubt the older, sober & drug free version would subscribe to any of those views now. As Neil said, odd that so many black artists have performed with him over so many years. I suspect they have found he is nothing like his 20 something self.

As for the Covid remarks, all I knew was that he was seriously ill for a fortnight after one of his jabs. I had what was like a half bad dose of flu for 3 days after my first jab, nothing after the second one. My wife had no effects after her first jab but the second left her arm looking as if she had gone 10 rounds with Anthony Joshua.

I hadn’t realised he had recently made further pronouncements in the past couple of days until it was pointed out on this forum. A quick read suggests that he is not anti-vaccine, but is anti-vaccine passports. This does seem stupid to me & would reduce him in my estimation if I were judging him as a person rather than for his music. However, I doubt he is the only one to have this opinion &, like it or not, stupid as it may seem to many, he is entitled to it.

As Matt says I think it is fair to say that, along with many other wealthy, successful people, some of his views appear detached from reality. My wife has a friend who is very friendly with a world famous guitarist (at the Clapton level) & his wife, & was lucky enough to spend an evening in their company. She concluded that he was quite bright, good company but had a few odd ideas & was clueless about some everyday matters.

As long as the Claptons of this world are not PM we shouldn’t really concern ourselves.

5 Likes

" Clapton Level " Not too many to choose from then?? :thinking:

1 Like

No, & I am serious.

For obvious reasons I can’t say who it is. I wasn’t there so I’m envious of my wife who knew the band he was in but had never heard of him!

I really enjoy the albums he did with Beth Hart ! I think they bring out the best in each other. Those albums had plenty of emotion!!