John Coltrane - Blue Train Tone Poet

Very interestingly Kevin Gray does say that he thinks these Tone Poets are an improvement on both Music Matters Blue Trains because of the equipment he now uses.

Also the extras on the Stereo copy are produced here for the first time on vinyl and several of the takes have never appeared anywhere before not even CD.

Joe Harley also discusses how RVG lifted Kenny Drew’s Blue Train piano solo from the take 8 tape and spliced it into take 9 the master Kevin Gray reverses theat process so that we get to hear take 8 as it was originally recorded.

The above video is long at an hour and a half but it is very, very interesting and well worth taking the time out to watch it in full.

2 Likes

Absolutely fair enough Bob. Thanks. Pre order is in on the US site.

1 Like

That BN would allow anyone to take a splice out of their prized 65 year old master tape, to recreate an out take ? I know they have them digitally archived but I must say I listened to that incredulously!

I don’t think they literally a take splice out but do it with the mixing console lifting the piano solo from take 9 and then over dubbing take 8 with it. I’m not an expert and may well be wrong so if anyone has studio, mixing experience please explain but I’m almost 100% certain it’s not physically taken apart.

I am no expert either. I heard JH saying it involved ‘surgery on a master’ lifting the splice from 9 back to 8, and then later back to 9 !- somewhere around 46:xx

Just ordered my copy for 70 EUR (2 LP Stereo). BTW the mono is sold here for 55 EUR. The price for the Stereo is ok, for the Mono a bit too much IMO.

1 Like

That’s disappointingly high. Compared to the $55 and $39 USD Blue Note sells them for overseas.

2 Likes

US records will cost me 19% import tax and much higher transporting costs (30 - 60 $), so I can live with the 70 EUR (transport included with my dealer). :wink:

I saw those prices on jpc. I am also restricted to European prices.

1 Like

This is where I ordered it :wink:
Amazon hasn’t listed it yet

1 Like

Blue Note US charged $15 postage to the UK and $18 tax though for my UHQR KOB and Craft small batch I was charged no tax.

1 Like

My entire package for both the Stereo and Mono copies with tax and postage was £114.

2 Likes

Good deal, @Bobthebuilder :+1:

Just ordered it directly from Blue Note Europe in France, for fairer pricing.

1 Like

BlueNote Germany is more expensive than jpc plus there is an extra shipping cost

The pricing in U.K. is a bit of a joke. Previous Tone Poet double albums have been £50.
This stereo Tone Poet appears to range from £68 - £75.
I’m going to reluctantly pass on this now unless I can get cheaper.

3 Likes

I agree that in general the pricing for these two records is a bit top heavy but if they are as promised an improvement on KG’s previous Music Matters remasters then they are reference quality reissues and as such as good as it is possible to get except for possibly a first press Mono which in VG+ to Mint condition will cost upwards of £1,000.

The Stereo version does also include previously unheard alternate takes and a booklet containing new session photographs wether or not all that justifies it being the most expensive non boxset Tone Poet to date is an individual choice personally both records are a must for me as I don’t own a Music Matters, AP or a Classic Records copy.

Blue Train is as important a recording as KOB to me, it features a young John Coltrane at his very best performing as a leader for the first and only time on Blue Note, a 19 year old Lee Morgan whose playing is incredible and also a prime time Kenny Drew so a reference quality Complete Stereo Masters and Mono remaster though expensive are something I have to own.

3 Likes

Yep Bob I will probably cave in and get the stereo version but let’s see.
To be honest KG is unlikely to say this new mono Tone Poet is not an improvement on the MMJ version regardless of whether it is or not.

2 Likes

Well yes he does have to say it’s better.