John Darko reviews NAD M10 (& compares to Unit Atom)

I had a lengthy review of the bigger brother NAD M12 combined with the M22 power amp. I found it very accomplished, lots of oomph too, but it didnt have the fun Naim sound that I have become accustomed to.

I did however like the M12 interface, which IMO made the Naim offering feel rather lacking.

The M10 is made by China, so I think the hardware make quality is not good.

I think its fair to say that, like any other manufacturing nation, there will be good as well as not so good manufacturers and that craft and high standards of workmanship may be present in any global area?

Whilst China may excel in high volume manufacturing there is no reason to expect that high quality manufacturing cannot be assured too if the right factory is chosen…

1 Like

That is the most ridiculous statement I have heard. You do know that the Musos are made in china. All Apples products are made in china are they inferior yet you a buy them up at their over priced cost. Given the issues with the latest Naim gear I don’t think they being made in GB or anywhere else guarantees it’s better.

2 Likes

This sounds interesting and offers some great features the Atom doesn’t. BluOS is really nice as I have a Bluesound Node 2 and is way better than the Naim app in my opinion. The only thing it doesn’t off over the Atom is ChromeCast but that’s no bad loss as you really don’t need it as pretty much all streaming services are covered.

Interested in hearing it, Dirac live is a big interest to me as room correction in Roon has made the biggest impact in my system due to my Room. So having the option to have this for all my sources is very inticing.

I had a demo of one at a branch of SSAV a couple of months ago. I REALLY wanted to like it because the feature set is exactly what I’m after but I just couldn’t get on with the sound signature. Lots of detail and air but no oomph. I kept waiting for that familiar kick-drum punch in the ribs, but it never appeared.

It was connected to a pair of large Dynaudios (didn’t get the model number) so it could be that it was struggling to drive them properly.

My experience exactly. I got to listen both Atom and M10 each connect to brand new Focal 905’s at the same time, very easy speakers to drive. Same shelf, same distance speaker to speaker, same song, same unit age and use. I stood in front of M10 and then moved right to Atom and difference was like trim milk vs whipped cream. Tried it few times before deciding to sit down and have a proper listen with Atom. I have no doubt that M10 interface and app are better, but this is about sound for me and Atom sound was so much more it was an easy decision for me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.