Journey's end 252 has arrived in to the system

No, I keep the cables not from touching each other if possible… and to be fair that’s how my dealer recommended it to me as well.
If I am honest I am sure a brief touch isn’t going to affect things too much if it can’t be avoided, but you might be changing the mechanical decoupling to some extent. Again best performance is usually considered with the SNAIC hanging freely between the Burndy connectors without touching snything.

2 Likes

Thanks @Simon-in-Suffolk my dealer advised otherwise that the cables should touch at least once. This is the same for the 252 and 552. I prefer the cables touching with my 252 otherwise I found the sound to be thin, lean, and lacking in bass weight

Touching is as advised for 52, 252 and 552 by Peter Swain (Cymbiosis) and Geoff Coleman (Acoustica). I am prepared to rely on their expertise :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks @TimOopNorth , I am advised the same by Geoff at Acoustica too :+1:t3:

1 Like

Fine, I do suggest however you discuss with Naim themselves when you next visit their factory… you might get to hear the reasons why… and the why Naim believe in keeping cables to hang freely without touching anything else… also whilst at it, you can ask Naim to show you how to correctly insert the Burndy SNAIC for max SQ.
If you can’t do this, then the next best thing is to loosely spirally wrap the digital automation SNAIC around the analogue signal and power SNAIC…

1 Like

Strange that, my dealer said a slack spiral of SNAIC around the Burndy and that’s the way my 252 has always been used.

I would think that if Naim intended the two cable to be connected in any way they would have done it for us. I can buy in to what Simon says.

I do wish they would write all this essential stuff down.

Phil

FWIW, the advice to have a single loop of the SNAIC around the Burndy was only if you found it impossible to run both Burndy and SNAIC perfectly parallel to each other. Run them as close together as you can without touching. But if you have to have them touch, just do the one loop, no more.

2 Likes

Sorry but I beg to differ. My dealer (Geoff at Acoustica) visited my house and showed me tips for correctly installing my 252, including destressing the Burndy prior to fitting to 252 and SCDR. The Snaic then runs in parallel to the Burndy - the Snaic rests on the Burndy in one place as they overlap.This is the same process for 52, 252 & 552 preamps. When I didn’t follow his advice (prior to his visit) the sound was just off - very lean & essentially not as it should be.

I’m with Phil, Richard and Simon on this. It’s always puzzled me why people say to have these two cables touching when all other cables are to be separated.
Having tried both the separate arrangement sounds better so I’m sticking with that.

1 Like

See Richard’s advice also. Several months ago there was some very bad advice being given. There is logic to his and Simon’s advice which doesn’t preclude a minor contact. Run them close and parallel.

Phil

Bongoman, that’s how we used to do it at the factory for best sound - I assume that’s how it’s still done. One touch is fine on a single overlap, but only if running them both perfectly parallel to each other and very close together is not possible. Run them too far apart and yes, sound will be off.

3 Likes

Well with my setup I’m not looping my cables at all, they both run in parallel just with the Snaic resting on the Burndy in one place. My 252 sounds fab as a result so I’m not inclined to change anything.

1 Like

Don’t touch anything @bongoman! If it sounds right to you that is all that matters.

3 Likes

Thanks, that sounds how my cabling is setup. I’m leaving everything as is!

1 Like

Congrats on the purchase Anthony, we’re sorry we missed you on Saturday. We were otherwise engaged at the Chester hi-fi bash.

As you say, you have a beautifully balanced system which should provide many, many hours of enjoyment.

All I can say is enjoy :blush:

2 Likes

Rather strangely I tend to judge for myself. I stopped being told what I liked when I was 7 :smile:

2 Likes

Only at 7. My grandchildren did that much sooner. :grinning:

2 Likes

just a system update, 252 has been in for a little under a month now

252 is a stunning pre, as I said for me the 282/SC was a delight and the boogie factor with the 300DR was lovely
252 has settled in really well over the past month, focus and clarity in the music is a real joy, i found the presentation of classical music with the 282/SC was not its strong point, but with the 252 completly different focus detail

I tried the new Morgana WH cables 2 x XLR to Din, up lift yes but more on the LP12 rather than NDX, they have gone back now and standard cables back in with no major drop off, I am borrowing Cord Sarum from my dealer

next week having the Javelin fitted to LP12 and a Prefix which will be conected to HCDR so really looking forward to that

want a cann say is I have hit a real sweet spot in musicality enjoyment with 252/SC/300DR whichever source I use

7 Likes

Good stuff… you should have many enjoyable music listening sessions ahead of you with your 252

1 Like