Jr149 Speakers

I am still enjoying a pair of JR149s that have been in my family since purchased new in 1978. I recapped them a couple of years ago - Falcon Acoustics sell capacitor replacement sets for very little money - and they have had foam grill replacements. I use them in my Log Cabin and they are wall mounted - see photo - on stands made by Audio Chic. They custom made them for me and I believe have added them to their product range? I love the sound of the JR149s. I did try them with a 72/Hicap/250 but they did not sing as well as they do with an old - 1990s - JVC 80watt integrated amp. Because the 149s have a 16 ohm impedance they need a powerful amp imho - the 250 flagged and sounded dark and flat compared to the JVC amp in this combination.

2 Likes

Thanks will keep that on my short list to look into. Have a pal who has a pair not met him in person yet, will try to get his via an open window maybe!!!

Great memories of S.O.M. Richard. I suggest you to get BBC Sessions 1982-1984 it’ s really really brilliant i have the cd version at the moment

1 Like

Hi did you have any trouble putting falcon replacements in, I heard there can be problem due to the central column down middle surcuring nut. Or have you soldered each one as replacements.

Check out the falcon acoustics website, the replacement crossover looks like a direct replacement. It is round, with a hole in the middle!

Search for: “ROGERS JR149 MK1 REPLACEMENT CAPACITOR SET” should be the first hit

There is no problem removing the crossover circuit board then being able to access the rear to remove the old caps. is easy. The Falcon replacements are the same physical size as the original caps so again easy to fit. The attached photo shows one of my crossovers recapped.

jr149_capacitor_kit

Falcon supply a direct crossover replacement ^^

[Edit: as pointed out below, Falcon supply no such thing, my error!]

That’s great for people who can’t do the DIY and I applaud Falcon. I have read many threads on the Pink Fish Forum about JR149s and ‘improving them’. The fuse isn’t needed imho and is often bypassed with a wire link. I was tempted to make external crossovers with upgraded caps and inductors as I did for my SBLs but upsetting the ‘flavour’ of the 149s is easy to do apparently so I left well alone.

Just looking at the Falcon website re ROGERS JR149 MK1 REPLACEMENT CAPACITOR SET. The complete circuit board is not available I’m afraid…only the capacitors to populate it. The circuit board/crossover is for illustration purposes only. So its back to DIY…

Hi; I have had JR149s since the 70s and have found it very difficult to find something better without losing their magic. I have also had LS3/5as and they are similar in many ways (Kans are totally different in sound). Having worked in hifi I find it is easy to be seduced by something that is “better” in some respects but loses in others. I have tried Meridian active and digital speakers plus certain B & W and Monitor Audio models but I find myself drawn back to classic BBC designs and their derivatives for their vocal reproduction. I have a Supernait/Hicap and use Harbeth M30.1s at the moment and would suggest you try auditioning as much as possible before selling or modding the JR149s. I still use mine in my Mancave!

Ah, my apologies in that case, thanks for double checking!!

“PCB and other components are not supplied and are for illustrative purposes only.” I should have read more carefully X)

I bought a boxed pair at an auction about 8 years for £10. They weren’t as good as my Royd RR1’s, so I sold them on ebay for £300.00 :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.