Just added a 250 DR to an SN3 - very impressed

Whilst not the most natural upgrade, I came across a 250 DR for a pretty good price recently and snapped it up with a view to it being the start of an upgrade journey to a 282 over the next 18-months.

I added it in this morning expecting to be fairly underwhelmed (as I know most suggest adding a 282 is the first upgrade to an SN3*) but I am pretty much blown away with the difference it has made.

I knew it would likely add more bass but everything seams to have been bought forward by about 10-foot making it for a much more engaging listening experience. Only had a quick listen to ROON but will grab some time later today with my P8 for a more in depth listening session.

Long-term plan is a 3-box solution (to keep on a single rack) with a non-NAIM streamer / transport (most likely a Zenith Mk3) - I am thinking the following:

• NAC 282
  • Supercap DR
  • 250 DR

Reason for the Supercap DR is that I “may” look toward a 252 when we move house in a coupe of years, and I have more room to play with in the lounge. I know for harmony purposes that would then mean a 300 DR but then that’s still only 4 boxes.

• Why do so few people add a NAP 200 / 250DR to the SN3 even when it’s advised by NAIM on the official “Upgrade Path” ?!?
3 Likes

You’re also going to need a DAC and a separate phono stage so that single rack is going to be quite full by the time you’ve finished.

1 Like

Already have the Qutest and Aira Mk3 phono stage on one level hence why not wanting too may more.

1 Like

Congrats. When I had the SN2, I added the 250DR to it, and also felt it was a very noticeable upgrade.

1 Like

I think may be your speakers (as in your profile) are needing that extra current/power?
Not every set of speakers and room requires it necessarily, the amp is just a function of these.

1 Like

Yes, I’m thinking this too as the IOTA Alpha’s are 4 Ohms / 86dB.

yes, so good move as they might likely go lower than 4ohm for various periods too?

I added NAC 282 first to SN2, as I was told that the change in the system was bigger than what 250 would have brought, now I am looking for a 250 dr to complete the change. I have to say that the 282 introduction brought big improvement in terms of detail, instrument positioning, definition of the sound, so I am glad you found improvement with 250 as soon I will get it and I can assure you that the 282 will bring big change, even with hicap DR instead of supercap

4 Likes

Now all you need is the 272 replacement when it’s finally released :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Naim has to know that a 272 replacement is the absolute first-priority new product for a lot of people!

Right now I can see a SN3+HC+NDX2+XPS in my future, but if the 272 replacement comes out soon, I definitely would consider going that route with a SC and NAP 250!

3 Likes

Had my 250DR for 7 years now, very very good amp. Notwithstanding the forthcoming 272/372/572 if you’re going to have a SC see if you hear a 252, when going up the Naim ladder it sometimes pays to jump a rung.

2 Likes

Listing to TOOL this afternoon and it’s as if my speakers have had a 30% shot of adrenaline.

Super impressive.

3 Likes

…congratulations you are not alone on taking this route. Type in 250 to SN or 282 to SN in the search bar and you will find 50+ threads listed under each.

I took the NAC 282 to my SN 2 first since I had the HiCap already. Then traded in the SN 2 for the NAP 250 DR later on. Reading through the threads in the past there is certainly a lot of support for both routes when making the move from integrated to separates.

2 Likes

If the above is going to be staged you could always opt for the SCDR next and use this with the SN3 then decide between a 282 or 252 at a later stage.

1 Like

Note to myself: Stop reading this kind of thread! :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

Good shout that is, I hadn’t thought of that.

TBH I’m just picking bits up when they become available really.

1 Like

9 Likes

… hopefully not in a galaxy far far away in 2222.

For a couple of reasons: the first is because of the source first philosophy (?) and the other is because Naim are ARGUABLY known more for their preamps rather than their amps (?), thus people tend to go this route first, on top of that, you can add a Nac to a SN with no Cap attached to it. That’s why my SN2 is not going anywhere.

1 Like

I would say that SN2 or 3 are something like NAC 112 with Nap 200 . So it’s normal that going for a 282 first with the SN will give more uplift, because the difference between the 112 and 282 is much bigger than between 200 and 250.
I know, it’s more an opinion than really a fact.

1 Like