Just for fun... what would you upgrade

Hmmm couple obvious options missing.

• Spend it all on music.
  • Spend nothing. Hold your horses for another few years. Enjoy what you have. Then blow 10k on a really big upgrade.

My 272 for a 552 and add NDX2 to partner my 555DR but nothing less then this spec.

This.

1 Like

Move the sofa away from in between the speakers and pull the speakers in more central further from the corners.

Dedicated rack?

1 Like

I would imagine that a HiCap DR and Powerline on the HiCap would be a great starting point. You could try the Powerline on other units to see if it makes a bigger difference.

Naim do suggest the HiCap DR as an upgrade and whilst it could be system/room dependant I have always found that by following Naims upgrade paths you do always end up with more engagement with the music being played. Some upgrades I made were not great in HiFi terms but I found myself more drawn into listening which is the acid test right?!

Hicap dr.

As much as I’d love a dedicated rack, it doesn’t get the WAF. Same for the couch :frowning:

Nice system and a lovely room. The Kanta 1 speakers look rather good too. You’ve got a nicely balanced system. If you can hardwire the ND5XS2 via Ethernet then that would be good and if you’ve not got Naim NAC-A5 cable then that would be a worthwhile addition too. Apart from that and without spending a shed load of cash to move on a significant amount, i’d leave it alone.

WAF budget at £1.500 just doesn’t cut it.
You either need to lower your standing or raise it.

Are you talking about the rack, or the wife?

2 Likes

Is there a difference? :rofl:

2 Likes

Is there anything irking you about the way the system plays at the moment? If not and with that budget I’d leave well alone.
If you think improvement is needed start working out how to get a wired network to the ND without upsetting the boss and maybe a couple of powerlines.
In the UK I’d be running a dedicated supply from at least a separate breaker in the consumer unit or preferably from its own single breaker consumer unit on a split tail from the meter fuse and use the thickest cable in domestic use which is the stuff we use for cookers, don’t run the ethernet and power side by side. We have to use an electrician for the power cable installation to certify it which means finding one who will do it in the first place and then fixing the mess he makes of the decor but I wasn’t content with surface run cable and I have plaster direct on brick walls not plasterboard on batons. When I did this I had the lowest metre of plaster off anyway to fix a damp problem so was in for replastering and decorating anyway. Fun it was not. This may be over the top for a Supernait.

1 Like

Yikes… while I would love a dedicated spur and hardwired Ethernet… I don’t think the Mrs would appreciate the juice being worth the squeeze on that one.

You make a perfectly valid point though asking if my system irks me in any way. I think the honest answer is no… but :wink:… I like the idea of adding something more to increase the SQ. A bit silly I suspect, but I imagine there are a few folks on this forum with a similar itch to scratch. Which is why I appreciate all the feedback though.

Thanks Steve. Curious if you and other folks have felt the Hicap DR has provided a nice lift to the system or more of a different presentation?

Also, for $2,000, I am able to upgrade to Kanta No 2s but they seem like they are physically too big for the room (I did home audition them - and they definitely sounded good with way more bass). But that route means some serious spousal negotiation :upside_down_face:

For me it gave more refinement and cohesion without changing the presentation. A nice upgrade at sensible cost.

So I gone done it… upgraded with a HiCap DR. Think I’m pretty impressed at first hearing this in my system. Only thing is that i hear a bit of a hum with the unit… curious if this is normal/typical for other owners? It certainly can’t be heard when playing music

In the USA a HiCap DR is $2695. The new SN3 is priced at $4595. In the UK the HiCap is £1495. Anyone see a problem with this?

It is very difficult to compare since the whole taxation system is different.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.