Just joined

Hi everyone I’ve started with 5si Amp to my old set set up replacing Nakamichi amp . I was thinking of the 5si cd to replace Sony but any advise would be greatly appreciated Trevor… Brighton

Welcome onboard, and so the journey begins…

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum, where everyone will enjoy telling you the best way to empty your wallet. :grin:

That aside; as more people dump CD to go streaming it could be a good time to pick up a bargain disc spinner. I’m a vinyl and FM user so can’t advise on specific players but If you have a decent collection of CDs any of the 5’s would be a good start I would have thought. Consider how far you might want to go in the future too. And remember that to get the best out of Naim it pays to have a decent rack as long as it meets domestic harmony requirements.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Welcome Trevor!

1 Like

Welcome. Many will tell you that CD is dead as a format. It’s not. It has much going for it. Simple to use. And in that respect a CD5 makes much sense.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Welcome to the madness that is naim lol, just remember its only music and just enjoy.
But honesty its a friendly place with great advice

2 Likes

Adding to my otherwise brief but friendly first message, you have the potential to explore a lot of really enjoyable CD players which can be picked up for modest outlay considering their ability.
As with a lot of the Naim black boxes, many of the CD players can be further enhanced with the addition of external power supplies and even the Naim DAC using your player as a transport only.
I did that with my CD5 XS until quite recently for example connecting it to a ND5 XS streamer.
Do also factor for the cabling you are using where things like speaker cables, mains cords and interconnects form important links in your overall system and are themselves things you can explore and experiment with to further refine and optimse your listening experience.
As things pop in to your head or things seem unclear do come back as this is a friendly and supportive environment and with many experienced owners and contributors happy to share insights and advice to support your musical journey.

1 Like

Welcome, you have a slippery slope ahead of you replete with expenses. However, the reward could be considered priceless: furthering your enjoyment of music to which you control (should you have the discipline): a term coined upgradatis…

1 Like

Welcome Trevor
The forum is a great resource to explore many options and to get new ideas. Use the search function - it’s invaluable.
Especially in the times of the C virus, it provides an escape from reality. Most on the forum are addicted to music and hifi equipment.
Most of us have friends/family who think we’re crazy wrt hifi.
Tell most “normal” people u spent $2000 on a cable and they look at u with confusion/shock.
So welcome to the loony bin - you’re no longer alone.
Just mind your bank account.
David

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. Quick! Hide your wallet!

1 Like

Welcome Trevor!
Enjoy yourself and like JosquinDesPrez says, hide your wallet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome Trevor to the madhouse! However there is a lot of priceless honest help at your fingertips. The only problem is there are so many different opinions all very well meant that you end wondering what to do! Remember your music enjoyment is what it and Naim is all about. Yes and watch your wallet!

1 Like

Makes sense to me, Trevor. Please don’t stack one upon the other. Get a rack of some kind or get the units side by side. Naca5 speaker wires are also good and Naim will have designed your amplifier with them.

Welcome.

1 Like

Welcome Trev. Once we have all thoroughly confused you with our collective help the best advice is to find your local Naim dealer and establish a relationship with them. They are your best guide in all things Naim.

Enjoy,

Stu

2 Likes

Hi thank you all so much for your messages & time in these different times , to give you a insight of me I’m 60 years old & from Brighton Sussex. I’ve quite a variety of music from my early days of Led Zeppelin, David Bowie ,Blues, Soul & Jazz ( now classical added).My wife of the same year born with similar music tastes makes it a great variety. So I thank you again & wish everyone well . Trevor Price.

4 Likes

If you fancy a new Cd player then why not. CDs are cheap. Especially via online auction sites. The Naim Cd5si is a great player. Not least, as it is their only player and you can’t do anything to it, except play CDs. I.e. no power supply upgrades. No digital outs. Yep, the damn thing just forces you to enjoy the music.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. The one piece of advise I would give you about a CD player is to get one that you can stream through if you have no other way to stream music. We are exactly the same age with similar tastes. I rejoined the music world a short time back. The great thing about streaming is discovering music that you would never have listened to in your life. I have playlists full of songs that there is no way in the world I would have bought the cd or lp. The advise is worth what you paid for it. Good luck.

2 Likes

depends on which Sony CD player model ?

Other players produce music too…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.