Keep my SBLs or change for Neat Iota Explorer? Update

Not side by side Phil. In my experience they are pretty similar with the 252 having a modest uplift in refinement. Over the years the Forum seems to give the 52 the edge, something I don’t subscribe to. But then I do still love the look of the olive gear…

2 Likes

Are the drivers glued in or sealed with some kind of sealant?
If so what would you recommend?

Thanks Stuart. Appreciate your feedback.

The Classic range is indeed more refined whilst still building on the traits of Naim sound from the Olives. It’s a tightrope but one which I felt Naim generally succeeded in.

But if we didn’t compare the olives and the classic series, either still propels music along emotively, just a question of preference and personal happiness from choices made. I never thought it a case of which series was “better” overall but there is no doubt the 500 series has been a clear evolutionary step from the olive flagships, which it should, and now the Statement and Solstice embody the direction of what Naim stands for today from all their know-how.

My ears are spoilt and pampered.

Enjoy your music! Cheers

Glad to be corrected.

Never meant to and am in no position ever to correct anyone, and you never assumed anything anyway, Sir. All good…

Just sharing neutrally what I know and I’m learning from everyone else here as well. We are here to help support one another’s journeys.

Cheers

A small amount of Hylomar Blue gasket sealant is used. Be very careful not to get it on the front of the tweeter.

2 Likes

I was in a similar position - 82/HiCap/180/SBLs - & initially made the jump to 52/SC - huge improvement.
Admittedly I didn’t stop there :wink: But I would caution against replacing your SBLs - you’ll regret it.

3 Likes

Trouble is finding one. It could be a long wait! :unamused:

How easy or difficult is it to change the bas units if I could source some?

If your present sibbles are early with Mk 1 bass driver units, it would probably be a good idea to take the opportunity in sourcing a nice pair of later SBLs, perhaps with the Hornslet veneer. Very nice examples do appear for sale occasionally.

3 Likes

So as a bit of an update and before that just like to thank everyone for all their comments and advice.
Well having given it a deal of thought and from what people have said I have decided to keep the SBLs and optimise them as best I can.
I believe that my listening position is not optimal as it’s a bit of an isosceles triangle. They are up against the walls. It’s just the shape of the room so I suppose it’s a bit compromised to begin with. Why do I think it’s the listening position? Because when I get up from the chair it all sounds a lot better with clearer bass and just a lot more tuneful.
Nest are the tweeters. So I don’t know if they need replacing or not. They are certainly as old as I have had them so 25+ years. Do they need replacing, should they be replaced? And what is the clearance distance between the mid- bass cabinet to the tweeter box?
Second would I be worth changing out the bass driver to MKll? There is a pair of SBLs on the auction site that make be purchased so I could try to swap them out and into my cabinets or just swop the whole assembly into my bass box. Any thoughts on that? And what would be an acceptable price to pay for some s/h bass drivers?
The crossover have been serviced so not action necessary on those imo.
So the plan at the moment is to solicit advice and then.

1. Change the tweeters
  2. Source the second hand bass drivers if that is the advice and either change the drivers in my cabinet or swop the cabinets round.
    3 Run in and allow for settlement time.
  3. Experiment with positioning and listening positions.

All thoughts and ideas welcome.
So I have the right sequence? Is there anything else I should consider? I know a lot of people have said get a 52….easier said that done but it is on the radar….
Thanks.
Chris

I would suggest trying to find a pair of Mk2 SBLs rather than attempting surgery on a working pair.

Easy things to try with SBLs are making sure they are as close to the wall as you can get, reducing the spike length as far as possible, making sure the lock nut is tight & that they are level with no rocking/movement.
I also clean all the banana plugs with silvo (and if you have OCD like me the power plugs as well!)
Another trick is to make sure the speaker cables that run from both “boxes” to the crossover don’t touch the wall.
Has the gasket been replaced?
Is there a suitable gap between top & middle box (you should have a cardboard template to place between them)
Are the bolts holding the top box tight?
All little things - but they add up to a great improvement.
I think its probably been said before - SBLs need setting up properly.
Hope that helps

3 Likes

Yes it does…thanks.
So what should the clearance be between the boxes. I do not have the cardboard spacer anymore…
So have suggested al LP sleeve would work.

I can’t lay my hands on the cardboard at present but this is what my current SBLs look like…

If the gasket needs replacing/resealing you can get a kit that I believe includes the cardboard spacer (TomTom offer them)

2 Likes

Thanks…so about 5 mm….

Yes & the top box should preferably be “solid” in the sense that if light pressure is applied to the top it doesn’t move. This requires the bolts round the back to be tightened quite forcibly - which is why you need the spacer - when you tighten them the top box moves forward!
An LP sleeve probably would give the correct gap :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the help….

When SBL tweeters malfunction they can make various symptomatic noises, the original tweets in my 1991 SBLs eventually broke down to produce a nasty grating sibilance. This came on gradually for a while so the failing condition of the tweeters went unnoticed - blame the music or the recording instead sort of thing.
The old tweets also sounded progressively unnatural and with eventually distortion which was ear bleeding obvious something was wrong. Listening became unpleasant.

The issue with SBLs is that if there is a problem, not only with the tweeters but anything at all such as set-up, positioning, x-overs, faulty cable connection; then they can sound really awful. Sometimes it’s an issue that is so gradual the listener may become conditioned to the sound for a while and then one day simply want to upgrade the SBLs due to believing the discontent is with the ability of the SBLs, and not realising the poor old sibbles are knackered and crying out for some TLC.

The MK1 bass drivers are probably not the issue, to upgrade them to later spec could cost a lot for relatively small return improvement, however a tweeter replacement is a lesser outlay expense and can return a massive improvement …especially if the original tweeters were indeed worn out or faulty.

4 Likes

Lovely replies, all solid for the SBLs and their set-up. Thank you gents.

30 years, 20 years for that matter, is a long time to not replace those tweeters but if they sound great and in control even when the volume is pushed up hard, and they aren’t “spitting”, then I guess they’re ok.

The Mark 2 midbass woofers are worth their weight with more control at louder volumes, and an improved ease to the sound, as they should. I wouldn’t DIY the change and prefer experienced hands.

I do miss the SBLs some.

Cheers

1 Like

Never sell SBLs, it should be forbidden. I’ve listened to some loudspeakers at my dealer today and it was different but not better. It quite magical really. Loudspeakers designed in the eighties being so good.

Atom HE > nap 200 > SBLs.

Sorry for the late post but there should always a sbl love topic open.

6 Likes