Keep nDAC or buy NDX2?

Hello JohnnyTT
Thanks for the kind words. Believe me, it was a stretch for me also.
Bailyhill

2 Likes

Hi Phil,

Thanks, I’m aware that the nDAC and pre-amp need to be isolated and kept apart, and well away from power amps and PSUs too. My nDAC was well isolated at the time and sounded the same as it always had. I was referring to the comparison between the internal dac of the NDX2. I have no regrets on selling the nDAC. I might consider upgrading up to ND555 in future, or even using a Chord Hugo with NDX2 as some here do (the Chord Dave looks like a great DAC and I expect a big step up from Chord Hugo)

1 Like
3 Likes

I don’t know if this review has been posted yet either (Feb 2019 review of NDX 2.)

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/naim-ndx-2-network-streamer-dac

@Filipe this Audiophileo is interesting but why you needed with Zenith, isn’t the hole point of zenith to have already better transport than a PC-MAC… I am planing a Zen Mk3 with a NDX2… what do you think about Zen vs Zenith ?

Hi Emrei, the Zen and Zenith only have USB and streamer output. With my nDAC I needed to convert from USB to spdif, hence the Audiophilleo + PurePower Mk 2. If I had a Hugo etc., I guess I would not have needed it.

I accept the principle that better audio oriented design improves SQ. It seems to be about good power supplies, vibration, EMI and RFI. The first time I played the Zenith it just sounded a lot better than the Zen in my configuration. Maybe the Audiophilleo might have reduced the difference because it allows PCs to be used into expensive audio equipment without all the noise from the PC getting through.

Phil

1 Like

@Filipe tnx, makes sense…

1 Like

I am looking forward to trade in my Aries Femto streamer and nDAC for a NDX 2 on Tuesday. I will report on any significant changes in sound, be it for the better or the worse.

2 Likes

First impressions fresh out of the box: much tighter presentation, more bass, room and clarity. Wow!

2 Likes

That’s more because the auralic is the weaker streamer…

1 Like

So, after some days with my new streamer and ethernet cable I can confirm that it is a major step from the old aries/ndac combination. I am happy :joy:

3 Likes

i wonder how much better the auralic vega 2 can bee. If vega 2 / ndac can compete with an ndx2.

I am also undecided on NDX 2 vs Vega G2 + Leo (expensive) clock

1 Like

I prefer less boxes, so NDX 2 is the better solution for me

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.